Franklin County Wills:
Will of John B. Winston 1862 Franklin Co., NC
Will Index shows it was probated in Mar 1863
Contributed by Anne Baker
In the name of God amen
I John B. Winston of sound mind and memory do hereby make declare and publish this my last Will and Testament.
First I give and devise and bequeath to my infant child John E. all my estate real personal and mixed of every kind species and description
his title to be complete should he live to be twenty one years old but should he die before he attained the age of twenty one years then his
title erases and my estate and property of every kind species and description real personal and mixed. I give devise and bequeath as follows.
1. To the children of my brother P.H. Winston my two Negroes Joshua and Zilla.
2. To the children of my sister Julia A. Winston my three Negroes Minerva and her children William & Flora.
3. To the children of my sister Amanda my two Negroes Ann and child John
4. To the children of my brother Thomas my two Negroes men Joseph and William son of Dilly
5. To my nephew P.H Winston son of D. C. Winston dec'd my Negro boy Jim and $800.00
6. To my niece Lucinda Harris daughter of D. C. Winston dec'd the sum of $500.00
7. To Gilley Winston my step mother during the said Gilley's life time my Negro girl Lucy and at the death of said Gilley said Negroes and
increase to be sold and the money divided between my brothers and sisters.
8. In order to pay my debts and the two money legacies aforesaid my executors are to collect every thing that is due me, and they are to sell
all my remaining estate real and personal. My boy Nelson is to be sold if necessary to pay debts & two legacies. ___ my executors be able to
pay off my debts and said legacies without selling Nelson, I hereby give him to Joseph Holden my brother-in-law but he is to pay to my
brothers P. H. Winston and Thomas Winston and my brother in law Sidney Winston one hundred dollars each.
9. After the foregoing all the rest, residue and balance of my estate of every kind real personal or mixed. I hereby give devise and
bequeath to my brothers P. H. Winston and Thomas Winston and my brothers-in-Law Joseph Holden and Sidney Winston.
Lastly I hereby appoint Joseph Holden, Thomas Winston and Sidney Winston my executors.
Witness my hand & seal this 20 July 1862
J. B. Winston (seal)
Witness: B. __. Green & A.H. Green
As my girl Minerva has died since the above was written it is my desire and I hereby direct that my boy Nelson should not be sold or disposed of
in any other way than to take the place of Minerva - as set forth in the foregoing will that is to belong to the children of my sister Julia A.
Winston this 29th day of August 1862
J. B. Winston (seal)
Witness: _. B. Beves, A. H. Green
(On Back - recorded Book R, page 401)