On the Road to Few’s Tavern – James Few, Sr was a Quaker tavern operator. His nephew, also called James Few, was hung after the Battle of Alamance during the Regulator uprising (1771). Shortly thereafter, James, Sr. and his brother and neighbor, William Few, who operated a mill near James’ tavern, left the Eno River valley. For many years, for reasons obscure local historians believed that Few’s Tavern was located near Ayr Mount, on the east edge of Hillsborough, North Carolina. But our St. Mary’s Project uncovered what is very likely a tavern site on the bluff above the Eno River just upstream from where Buckquarter Creek enters that river.
For our December First Sunday Hike we will visit the tavern site to view the remains and we’ll approach the tavern by way of the 18th century road from what was later called “Fanny’s Ford”. Those of you who attended the November First Sunday Hike will note similarities between this road and the stone-wall-lined road we visited on November 1st. The tavern site is crisscrossed with free stacked stonework that needs to be seen.
We will meet in the parking lot above the Swinging Bridge in the Cole Mill section of Eno River State Park off of Pleasant Green Road in Orange County, NC on December 6. We will depart the parking lot at about 2 PM and be back by 4 PM. The course of the hike, except around the tavern, will be on cleared but unpaved state park trails. There will be some climbing and the trails are, at best, uneven surfaces. The heartier hikers may choose to ford the river a time or two as we pass both Fanny’s Ford and Few’s Ford. There will be signs pointing the way to the parking area at each turn from the intersection of Pleasant Green Road and Cole Mill Road.