Return to Currituck Co.
Currituck County Wills
April 15, 1855 - June 23, 1855
Currituck Co. Will Book 4, p. 198
State of North Carolina Currituck County
Know all men by these presents that I Zachariah OWENS being of sound mind but sick in body of the county of Currituck and state of North Carolina do publish this my last will and testament following
First. I give unto my sons Mathias and Alexander jointly my schooner called wild cat.
2. I give unto my son Nathan one negro boy named Joe and one negro girl named Nancy.
3. I give unto my daughter Martha Jane one negro girl Lora.
4. I give unto my daughter Frances one negro girl named Mariam.
5. I give unto my son Zachariah one negro girl named Pish? also one negro boy named Joe (called Edeleucs? Joe) to have to hold the above gifts during there lives.
6. I give unto my sister Susan Twenty dollars a year during natural life to be paid from proceeds of my estate.
7. I will that my executors shall hire out every year negros being Davie, Sam, Dem? Nuar? for the space of ten years after which period they shall be sold and the proceeds equally divided among all my children namely Mathias, Alexander, Lucinda, Julia, Frances, Ann Elizabeth, Nathan, Martha Jane and Zachariah.
8. The balance of my negros not given away I leave to be equally divided amongst all my children before named.
9. I also leave all my lands to be equally divided among children above named.
10. I will that the balance of my property not required for the support of my family shall be sold and the proceeds equally divided amongst my children.
11. I hereby make and appoint my brother Mathias OWENS of Tyrrell County and my son Mathias OWENS Executors of my last will and testament.
Signed sealed and delivered in the presence of us this April 15 A. D. 1855.
/s/ Zachariah OWENS
Recorded the 23th day of June 1855
J. W. BAXTER CCC
This will was contributed by J.A. Owens. No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes. However, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. If you find anything in these records that pertains to your families, it is strongly suggested that you look at the original record on your own to check for errors or possibly other additional and helpful information. Thank you!
© 2003 Marty Holland