Return to Currituck Co.

Currituck County Photographs

Rev. Nicholas P. Stallings (daughter Essie on porch)

Photo probably made around 1900.  Reverend Nicholas Pisani Stallings was born in Wake Co., NC on December 29, 1856 and died at Moyock, Currituck Co., NC on August 7, 1917.  He married Catherine Elizabeth "Katie" Pool on Dec. 26, 1884 in Wake County at the home of her father, Calvin Pool.  According to the 1900 Perquimans Co., NC census (town of Winfall where Nicholas was listed as "minister") Katie was born November 1861 [Nov 16, 1861]  Nicholas & Katie had 6 children:

1. Paul L. Stallings B. 27 Dec 1885 and D. 28 Aug 1894 as a result of a fall from the barn of his grandfather onto a pitchfork
2. Isaac Clyde Stallings B. 1 Nov 1887 and D. 15 Dec 1946
3. Calvin Exum Stallings B. 25 Oct 1889 and D. 30 may 1962
4. John Lee Stallings B. 31 Aug 1891 and D. 11 May 1961
5. Estelle Gertrude Stallings B. 11 April 1894 and D. 13 Oct 1988
6. Kate Stallings B. 11 Aug 1896 and D. 5 April 1972

By 1910 the family had moved to Bayboro in Pamlico Co., NC and Nicholas was listed as "clergyman" in the census.  Katie died in Winfall on Aug. 3, 1900 and Nicholas remarried Nina R., a public school teacher (born c. 1877), in about 1903.   Nina is listed as a widow in the 1920 Currituck Co. (Moyock) census.  Her son, Walton Dees Stallings, age 8, is the only other member of this household.  Nicholas and his two wives are buried in Hertford, NC in the Cedarwood Cemetery.

Shady Grove Baptist Church
[photo no longer available]

Rev. Nicholas P. Stallings (shown by arrow) and his wife, Katie Poole Stallings (standing beside him).  No others have been identified in this photograph and the year is not known.  This photo was inscribed on the back as Rehoboth Baptist Church, Maple, NC, however, after looking through the book, The Heritage of Currituck County, I find that Rehoboth was not established until 1871 and this photo clearly has the date "1828" emblazoned on the top face of the church.  The photograph of Rehoboth Baptist Church shown in the Heritage book looks nothing like the above church BUT one picture of Providence Baptist Church in 1900 looks remarkably like the one above.  The following is an excerpt from the Heritage book:  "Rehoboth Baptist Church was organized in 1871 for the convenience of the people in the Currituck-Maple-Barco area.  Some of these people had been attending the Old Cowenjock Kehukee Primitive Baptist Church.  This church was located between Currituck and Maple.  They soon became dissatisfied with their doctrine.  Others traveled to the Providence Baptist Church at Shawboro, NC organized in 1826."  The date of establishment and the picture in the Heritage book leads me to believe that the above picture is really Providence Baptist Church and not Rehoboth Baptist.  Reverend Nicholas Stallings was a circuit minister and could have been at both churches.  It is known that he was the minister at Rehoboth Baptist in 1915.  Can anyone positively identify this church?

UPDATE from Ray Etheridge dated May 29, 2006:
     The foregoing church is not Providence or Rehoboth Baptist Churches, it is the old Shady Grove Baptist Church, which is no longer in existence.  There is a marker at the site where the Church once stood on the east side of Tulls Creek Road a few miles south of Moyock, N. C.
     The old Cowinjock Baptist Church, that was located between Currituck Courthouse and Maple, which was a member of the Kehukee Baptist Association, was referred to as the Coinjock Primitive Baptist Church, after the Chowan Baptist Association was formed, to distinguish the members of the Kehukee Association and other churches of similar faith from that of the Missionary Baptist Churches which were adopting new and more liberal doctrine. Some Churches, including Sawyer's Creek and Shiloh Baptist Churches, shifted their membership back and forth from the Kehukee to the Chowan Associations.
     The old Cowinjock Baptist Church was in existence for well over a hundred years, first constituted in 1782, and revised in 1822.  "The Church declared non-fellowship with the 'Missionaries' in 1841."

Photo and information kindly submitted by Tammy Holton Jennings No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes. However, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research.