Currituck County Photographs
This unidentified photograph was found in the attic of Elva Gregory Walker of Poplar Branch, Currituck County, NC. Elva was the daughter of Henry and Caroline Gregory and wife of Ralph Walker. This picture had not been identified until August 2009 when Lisa Walton identified this woman as her great-great-grandmother, Pattie Lee O'Neal Smith.
Pattie Lee O'Neal Smith
Pattie Lee O'Neal was born on July 9, 1884 in
Currituck Co. She was one of six children born to Thomas O'Neal
(1840-1916) & Canary (Harris) O'Neal (1851-1906). Pattie Lee married
Herman Cornelius Smith, Sr. in Corolla, NC on June 22, 1902.
obituary and death certificate] They had seven children:
1) Earley Lawrence Smith - b. July 24, 1903 Seagull, NC d. Sept. 8, 1933 Manteo, Dare Co., NC of cancer He was a bookkeeper. [see death certificate]
2) Walter Adams Smith - b. Oct. 1, 1906 d. Sept. 20, 1973 Avon, Dare Co., NC [see death certificate and obituary]; married Vesta Mae Williams (1908-1988) in Manteo, NC on Feb. 15, 1927
3) Marshall Thomas Smith - b. Feb. 16, 1910 d. Oct. 17, 1985; married 1st Wynola Lee Barnett (1914-1994 Md.) in Manteo, NC on Oct. 20, 1930; they divorced and he married 2nd Ruby Marie Hartley (1917-1981 Va.) in Manteo on Sept. 16, 1941
4) Laura Lee Smith - b. Oct. 23, 1911 d. May 18, 1943 Norfolk, Va.; married Clarence Pinker Skinner, Sr. in Manteo, NC on Sept. 13, 1930
5) Mary Love Smith - b. c1917 d. Feb. 8, 2002 Nags Head, NC; married 1st D.W. Alexander in Manteo on Aug. 9, 1936; married 2nd Jesse Lance Newman, Sr.
6) Annie Estelle Smith - b. June 14, 1922 d. Dec. 11, 1970 Elizabeth City, NC [see death certificate]; married Nick Sapone
7) Herman Cornelius Smith, Jr. - b. Sept. 27, 1925 d. April 22, 1972 Manteo; he never married. He is buried in the Manteo Cemetery, Manteo, NC,
Pattie Lee died in Westgate Nursing Center in Rocky Mount, NC of a cerebral hemorrhage. [see death certificate] She is buried beside her husband, Herman, in the Manteo Cemetery in Manteo, NC. Herman was the son of Cornelius Fredrick Smith and Lovie Adelia Cowell. He died in Manteo and had served in the US Coast Guard for 30 years.
Photo kindly submitted by Judy Merrell Brickhouse and information given by Lisa Walton. No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes. However, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. Images are for personal use only, not for redistribution.