Currituck Co., N.C. Houses
Old John Fisher Home
|Located off U.S. Highway 158 west of
Jarvisburg. This house was built by Wallace O'Neal and Nat Sanders.
Tom Taylor ran the chimneys and made the well. Now owned by
B. Fisher, son of John Fisher, who has added on to the original house
(see photo below). The
people on the porch are the John Fisher family as follows:
John W. Fisher - Father
Fannie Melson Fisher - Mother
Ike W. Fisher
Marvin B. Fisher
Richard Fisher (with bike)
Roy E. Sawyer, Jr.--
The eastern portion of this house was completed between 1883 and 1884, shortly after John Wilson Fisher (1857 - 1933) had married on 3 May 1883 to Fannie Melson (1863 - 1943), of Harbinger, daughter of John and Polly Melson. John W. Fisher was the son of Isaac Fisher (1826 - 1867) and Hester Ann Owens (1833 - 1910). John W. Fisher was born in a house later known as
the Sylvia Belangia house, because his mother remarried to Sylvia Belangia after his father's death. In the 1880 census, John Fisher is found in the home of George Jarvis, and he is apparently working as a clerk in the Jarvis store. He was also married, and his wife's initials are given as "S.C.", and her occupation was given as nurse, and her age was 17. It is assumed that his first wife died prior to 1883 when he married second to Fannie Melson.
John W. Fisher led a prosperous career as farmer and as owner/operator of the Fisher Wharf on North River in Jarvisburg. At one time he operated a barrel factory which was connected to his wharf by a tramrail. His son, Marvin B. Fisher later operated the barrel factory and managed the wharf and Mrs. Mary Frances Tuten Dutcher helped in the office preparing bills of lading and stenciling barrels. John W. Fisher was a shareholder in the North River Line, which for many years owned the Annie L. Vansciver, a passenger ferry formerly used in Boston and New York harbors, and purchased in Camden, NJ. The Vansciver was originally known as the Samoset. The North River Line had formerly used the Norfolk & Southern Freight Docks in Elizabeth City; however the homeport was changed to Jarvisburg, in order to avoid paying taxes in Elizabeth City. The Vansciver transported shipments to Jarvisburg as well as shipped produce to Norfolk for transfer to northern markets until the early 1930's, when long distance trucking provided a cheaper and faster method of transporting produce. River boats could no longer compete when a truck could leave Jarvisburg and arrive at the Brooklyn Terminals within eight hours' time. John W. Fisher also
consolidated the telephone lines in the Jarvisburg community starting around 1900 and continued this operation until the local lines eventually became a part of the Norfolk and Carolina Telephone & Telegraph Company.
In 1900 John W. and Fannie Fisher greatly expanded their home to accommodate their large family. James F. Sumrell, of Harbinger, was the contractor who built the addition. The home passed to their son, Marvin B. Fisher, and is today owned by his son, John Marvin Fisher.
John W. and Fannie M. Fisher
had the following children:
This is how it looks today.
This photo and information are from the project "Old Homes in Currituck County to 1860" originally compiled June 1960 by Alma O. Roberts and Alice Flora of the Currituck County Historical Society. We are indebted to Barbara B. Snowden, president of the Currituck County Historical Society for permission to reproduce this collection on the internet, and also to Gerri Andrews and Diane Ferebee of the Currituck County Public Library who provided digital copies of the photos. No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes; however, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. Images are for personal use only, not for redistribution.
© 2005 Marty Holland