Currituck Co., N.C. Houses
Thomas Cooper Ferebee Home / Lyle Otis Forbes Home
|Also called "Culong". It is
located on Indian Town Road, near Academy Road, south of Shawboro.
Present owner, Lyle Forbes. In a brick of the still-intact original
underpinning, is the date 1812 and the initials T.C.F. outlined in a bit
of the mortar. Mrs. Forbes says there are still a few of the old
window panes intact in the sashes. Also note the three rows of panes
in the windows of two of it's three stories. The original interior
of the house is unchanged, with it's wide flooring and handmade mantels.
The cellar remains and is in use, complete with its brick floor and
good-sized niche in the solid brick wall which is believed to have been
used to store wine. Mrs. Forbes uses it to store jars of home-canned
foods. Many of the old out-buildings are still there, one of which,
finished as carefully as the main house, has the old "tooth-dentist" trim
at the edge of the roof and running upward with the peak of the roof.
It, like the big house, is weather-boarded with the beaded English siding
and is lathed and plastered. It may have been some sort of office
building or perhaps was the school house for the family children. A
section of a mortised and pegged sill, removed from one of the
out-buildings, was saved to show the construction of the house.
This photo and information are from the project "Old Homes in Currituck County to 1860" originally compiled June 1960 by Alma O. Roberts and Alice Flora of the Currituck County Historical Society. We are indebted to Barbara B. Snowden, president of the Currituck County Historical Society for permission to reproduce this collection on the internet, and also to Gerri Andrews and Diane Ferebee of the Currituck County Public Library who provided digital copies of the photos.
For over sixty years Historic American Buildings Survey, the oldest federal preservation program, has played a leading role in preservation through documentation. In 1933 the National Park Service, Department of the Interior established HABS as a make-work program for architects, draftsmen and photographers left jobless by the Great Depression. Its mission then, as today, was to create a lasting archive of America's historic architecture. In so doing, HABS provided a data base of primary source material for the then fledgling historic preservation movement. Thomas T. Waterman (1900-1951), an associate architect for HABS and supervisor of recording efforts along the eastern seaboard from 1933 to 1942, photographed and researched over 100 buildings and sites in North Carolina during a three-week trip through the state in July 1940. The above three photographs were taken by Mr. Waterman on that trip in 1940. His description of this house in 1940 reads: "Located in the vicinity of Shawboro on State Route 1147. Erected c. 1820. Two stories, gable roof with end toward front giving podiment effect. Shed porch around three sides; two chimneys at rear. Front 3 bays, center door; lower sash 9/9 lights, upper 9/6. One window in gable. Wide hall across front; two equal rooms in rear. Owned by Mr. Forbes in 1940."
No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes; however, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. Images are for personal use only, not for redistribution.
© 2006 Kay Midgett Sheppard