Currituck Co., N.C. Houses
Old Zack Doxey Home
|Located on Poplar Branch Road south of William Henry Walker home. Zack Doxey was the father of Willis Doxey and others.|
Roy E. Sawyer, Jr.--
This house was the home of Daniel Barnard Lindsey (1797 - 1833) and his wife, Grace Bernard (d. 1844). It was inherited by their daughter, Mary Elizabeth Lindsey (1819 - after1854), who married Zachariah Matthias Doxey (1812 - 1907). The house was used for storing farm hay when Alma Roberts visited it in 1960 to capture the photograph, and it was in a deteriorated state. The house faced east, on the west side of Poplar Branch Road almost a mile north of Neal's Creek. As late as 1953, the remnants of an ornate two-story portico remained. The house was likely torn down in the early 1960's.
Mary Elizabeth Lindsey and Zack Doxey had nine known children: (1) Julia Doxey, (2) Grace Doxey, (3) Daniel Doxey, (4) Sanford Doxey, (5) Elizabeth Doxey, (6) Matilda Jane Doxey, (7) Jonathan Lindsey Doxey, (8) Willis A. Doxey, and (9) George A. Doxey.
Matilda Jane Doxey (c1851 - 1902) married Hodges Gallop Owens (d. 1893). The late Hazel Smith McLean enjoyed sharing delightful stories about his capers during the Late Unpleasantness. During Federal Occupation of Currituck during the Civil War, Hodges delighted in playing pranks on and generally riling the dander of the Union troops. One story told of his riding on horseback to attend a wedding on the old Harrison plantation in present-day Harbinger, when Union soldiers shot at him and actually tore holes in his duster with their gunshots. Hodges sought refuge on the scaffold of a scuppernong grapevine at his mother's house, which was regularly checked by Union soldiers seeking his whereabouts. He developed a method of communicating with his mother to let her know he was alright - he would crow like a rooster, and at all times of day he would crow so that
she would not worry about him. A federal vessel, the "Lottie" was anchored in Johnson's Bay on the Currituck Sound near the Graham Gallop and James Brinson properties, and the troops would come ashore in the morning to proceed with their pillaging and burning. Hodges kept close eye on the troops and observed them from the nearby swamps. One day after he was sure all the troops had left the "Lottie", he swam out to the vessel and set fire to it, burned it to the water line, and the remaining boat eventually sank, and the site is known today as the "Lottie Slough". The "Lottie" was
commissioned first in the Mississippi River region and in 1863 was sent to the Currituck Sound by coming around by Key West.
Jonathan Lindsey Doxey (1854 - 1935) and his second wife, Sarah Melissa Forbes (d. 1903), were the parents of Miss Hettie Doxey (Hampton, Gray), whose photograph appears elsewhere on this website. (see photo here)
Willis A. Doxey (1862 - 1938) was married first to Sallie Woodhouse (1872 - 1901), daughter of Col. James Monroe and Sarah Gallop Woodhouse. He married second to Daisey Hampton (1887 - 1986), daughter of Alonzo and Lavinia Hampton of Coinjock, NC. Willis Doxey worked during the hunting season as personal guide for Henry Osborne Havemeyer, a member of the Currituck Shooting Club. Mr. Havemeyer was president of the American Sugar Refinery Company, and was also a director of the Chase Manhattan Bank, and also was involved in other financial interests in New York City. While away at the club, his young bride, Miss Daisey, gained the eye of his nephew, Willie H. Doxey (1894 - 1925), son of his brother, George A. Doxey (1864 - 1940) and his wife, Josephine Parker (1870 - 1918). Willis Doxey came home unexpectedly and caught Willie Doxey trying to exit the house from the rear and shot him. Willie Doxey died about a week later, on 8 Feb 1925, and Willis Doxey was arrested for murder. A change of venue was granted, and the trial was held in Gates Co., and Willis Doxey was acquitted. Mr. Havemeyer helped with the legal fees, but Willis Doxey also had to sell his farm south of Poplar Branch to remain solvent. Miss Daisey later married Edward Calvin Wheelock, who died in 1956, and then she married a Mr. Little. Willis and Daisey Doxey had a son, Clyde Doxey, who was one of two people ever from Currituck County to have been admitted to St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Anacostia, DC, a mental institution used primarily to house people who pose a threat to the United States government.
This photo and information are from the project "Old Homes in Currituck County to 1860" originally compiled June 1960 by Alma O. Roberts and Alice Flora of the Currituck County Historical Society. We are indebted to Barbara B. Snowden, president of the Currituck County Historical Society for permission to reproduce this collection on the internet, and also to Gerri Andrews and Diane Ferebee of the Currituck County Public Library who provided digital copies of the photos. No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes; however, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. Images are for personal use only, not for redistribution.
© 2005 Marty Holland