Return to Currituck Co.

Contributed by Kay Midgett Sheppard

Tuesday, January 7, 1902; pg. 3
HARBINGER - John SANDERS, age sixteen, died from accidental shooting.  The accident occurred while he was taking the gun from another boy who was in a boat.  The gun struck the side of the boat and discharged the load in the boys knee.  A physician was summoned and amputated the leg immediately but the gun had done fatal work and the boy died after several hours of intense pain.

Friday, January 10, 1902; pg. 4
Captain S.G. PAYNE of Harbinger was in the city this week shaking hands with his many friends.  He reports the death of Mr. Jas. NELSON, age 20 years, and a young man full of promise.

Tuesday, January 14, 1902; pg. 3
HARBINGER - Capt. S.J. PAYNE, who was keeper of Kitty Hawk L.S.S. #12, a resident of this place, has resigned his office after a term of about 20 years in the service.  Mr. A.B. Love TILLETT, who was first man in #13 L.S.S. is promoted to captain of #12.  We congratulate him.  He is worthy of the position and we feel quite sure he will make a good captain.
    Mr. Jas. NELSON of this place, died Friday night after a short illness of about a week
    COINJOCK - Mr. John MERCER led to the altar Miss Hebre ROBERTS.  Rev. J.S. HENDERSON officiating.  The wedding march was rendered by Miss Minnie HALL.
    Mr. Edgar O'NEAL departed this life Sunday night after a long illness.  He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his loss.  Rev. C.K. HOBBS preached the funeral after which he was buried with Masonic services.

Friday, January 17, 1902; pg. 3
HARBINGER - Mrs. T.W. EVANS is very sick with pneumonia and the attending physician will not allow any one to visit them.

Tuesday, February 11, 1902; pg. 3
HARBINGER - Messrs. C.G. DOWDY and T.G. GUARD were caught in a shift of wind while fishing last week and the boat capsized.  They were both saved by a nearby boat.
    Mrs. Fanny NEAL, formerly of this place but now of Corolla, had a paralytic stroke last week and is no better.
    The insane fellow Lafayette BRIGGS of Jarvisburg has been down here doing much damage--breaking up fences, disturbing the people at night and setting fire to buildings.

Tuesday, February 18, 1902; pg. 1
Mrs. Lydia BEASLEY, the wife of Wm. Johnson BEASLEY, was buried Sunday.  She was a good woman and died in the full triumphs of the Christian faith.  In the death of this good sister, the husband lost a loving companion and the only child, a son, lost a darling mother.
pg. 3
HARBINGER - Mr. Willis GALLUP and family have moved to his wife's farm near Jarvisburg.  We are sorry to see them leave for we lose a good neighbor.

Friday, February 21, 1902; pg. 3
SHAWBORO - Mr. and Mrs. J.E.C. BELL celebrated their silver wedding anniversary on last Friday evening at their elegant home at Shawboro.  A large number of presents were left by the guests as a pleasant reminder of the occasion.

Friday, March 7, 1902; pg. 5
Mr. Rian MIDGETT, surfman in Poyner's Hill Life Saving Station, received very sad news last week.  His baby son is very ill and the doctor fears he can not live.  The family have our sympathy.

Friday, May 2, 1902; pg. 2
With deep regret we announce the sad departure of our esteemed friends, those many of us have known since our earliest childhood, Mr. & Mrs. T.J. POYNER and their sister Miss Mary Frances POYNER, managers of the Currituck Shooting Clubhouse.  Mr. POYNER and his two sisters, Frances and Elizabeth, took charge of what is now known as the "old clubhouse" February 1, 1873.  Elizabeth remained there until her death on November 9, 1875.  During the year of 1877 occurred the wreck of the passenger boat Huron.  Mr. POYNER worked very faithfully removing the bodies of the drowned and he provided a home for several of the officers.  For these acts of kindness the government awarded him a very handsome gun worth a hundred dollars.  It is still in his possession and is kept as a sacred relic.  It will, no doubt, be handed down from generation to generation.  On January 31, 1878 the Metropolis was stranded near here.  Several of the passengers were entertained at the clubhouse by Mr. POYNER.  The club built a new and great deal larger house during the year 1879 and they moved in November 1879.  September 17, 1885 Mr. POYNER married Miss Mary Yeula WOODHOUSE, daughter of Col. James WOODHOUSE, who for many years was Representative of Currituck County and was a highly respected citizen until his death.  January 6, 1890, the death angels entered their home and took from them their little son Clinton nearly five years old.  They had remaining two sons, Thomas Milton, a youth of sixteen, and Lancelot, a lad of thirteen.  Mr. POYNER has been Supt. of the club for 29 years and was Supt. of this District #7 (then #6) for five years.  They have been faithful at their post of duty and their departure is sorely regretted by their many friends.  They had been with us in our affections; they stood by our death beds, sharing our troubles as only true friends can.  We with heavy hearts assembled on the wharf on the afternoon of Tuesday, April 22, to bid them adieu as they sailed for the home of Mrs. POYNER's childhood where they will spend a short time, then they will remove to their handsome residence they have recently purchased on York Street in Norfolk, Va. where they expect to engage in keeping a first class boarding house.  We wish them all success possible and they have our sincere wishes for a long and prosperous future.  They will always find a welcome in our home by the grand old ocean we all have learned to love so well.  We hope we will find in their successors the true and noble friends we have lost.  /s/  Miss Laura C. WESCOTT

Friday, May 9, 1902; pg. 8
We learn with deepest regret the death of Mr. H.M. GALLOP at his home in Corolla.  He departed this life Wednesday afternoon after an illness of short duration.  Mr. GALLOP was educated at the ___? of this city.  From here he returned to his home and later assumed the position as keeper of Whales Head Life Saving Station.  For some time he has been acting as president of The Surfman's Mutual Life Association.  Mr. GALLOP leaves a wife and two little children besides countless friends to mourn his taking off.  Messrs. M.P. and C.D. GALLOP of this city are brothers of the deceased.  The funeral services will be conducted this morning at 10 o'clock at Corolla.  Being a member of the A.F. & A.M. he will be buried with Masonic honors.

Friday, May 16, 1902; pgs. 2 & 5
There are many scenes of sadness that occur in this life but what is sadder than the death of a man in the prime of life as was our friend and fellow citizen Hodges M. GALLOP, age 35.  Captain of Whale's Head Life Saving Station of Currituck County, also President of the Surfman's Mutual Benefit Association of which he was the founder.  His aged mother, one sister, Mrs. T.J. TILLETT, four brothers: Paron and Willis of Jarvisburg, Marshal and Clarence of Elizabeth City, a kind and devoted wife, three small boys and a host of friends mourn his loss, but they do not mourn as those who have no hope.  He died surrounded by his family and loving wife, who held his land in one of hers while the other lay upon his brow, growing so icy cold.  All were present to witness the sad scene except his sister and his brothers-in-law, Mr. L. HARRISON and Mr. Hogue HARRISON of Newport News.  The latter arrived a few hours after the Captain's death.  Capt. GALLOP's traits of character were commendable and those who knew him best loved him best.  He has erected a monument "more enduring than brass, more lasting than marble" in the lives and hearts of his surfmen.  A nobler contribution to the elevation and ennoblement of ones fellowman and to the general welfare of society has been made by but few men and how much he is missed no one can tell.  Had he lived but a little longer he would have joined the Methodist church, he spoke of it often especially during his illness.  He told his wife many times that he never prayed for anything in his life that he didn't get it and when asked if he prayed for the salvation of his soul, assured her he did every day.  His favorite hymn, "Just As I Am Without One Plea" was sung before he was removed from his home, then he was taken to the church where he and Miss Maggie HARRISON, niece of ex-Governor JARVIS, were made one, but a few short years ago.  They spent a silent hour there, the silence being broken only by the singing of the hymn, "I Would Not Live Always" and a prayer by Mr. JONES.  He was then taken in charge by the Masons and was interred in his family burying ground at Powell's Point.  Six surfmen acted as pallbearers.
pg. 5
    DEATH OF MRS. WESCOTT - Mrs. Lovie D. WESCOTT, age 70 years, died at the home of her son, Capt. J.T. WESCOTT at Poyner's Hill on May 6th. She had been a sufferer for many years and had been confined to her bed over 7 weeks. She leaves two daughters, four sons, several grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren. Capt. J.T. WESCOTT and his brother, Robt. L. WESCOTT, and Mr. Grandberry DOWDY took her to Roanoke Island where she was interred in the family burying ground beside her husband. She was a member of the Baptist church.
    MRS. JOHN GALLOP'S DEATH - On May 7, 1902, death visited the home of Mr. John GALLOP and took from him his wife.  Her illness was not very long.  Her aged mother, Mrs. J. POYNER of Poplar Branch, and her sister, Mrs. OWENS and husband, were with her when she died.  Mrs. Mary Jane WALKER, another sister of Norfolk, did not arrive until after Mrs. GALLOP died.  She was interred at Poplar Branch.  The family has our sympathy.

Friday, May 23, 1902; pg. 4
Lewis LEWARK, the boy wonder of Currituck, was here one day last week.  He came in on a small vessel.  The boat anchored on the flats and few people had seen the giant of the Sounds country.  Lewis is only a 17-year old "kid" and yet his weight exceeds 600 pounds.  His shoes would make two pair for any mammoth-footed Patagonian.  His clothes are all homemade and the making thereof must be a mighty task for the fat boy's industrious little mother.  The father and mother of the boy are ordinary looking people when it comes to size and for this reason we cannot lay his overabundance to heredity.  Lewis is rather sensitive and not until a few days ago was he persuaded to go upon an exhibition tour and will be on of the attractions here at the Surfmen's meeting.  He also expects to be at our next fair.

Friday, June 6, 1902; pg. 1
James FELTON, a negro accomplice to a bold robbery that recently occurred in Currituck County, was this week captured by Chief DAWSON and turned over to Currituck authorities.  The robbery was one of the most sensational ever recorded in our columns.  In broad day time two negroes set fire to an outhouse to attract attention from a main residence.  While all were busy fighting the flames, the two negro desparados entered the residence and stole a sum of $400.00.
pg. 2
    HARBINGER - Miss Ola BELANGA and Mr. Columbus DOXEY were united in the holy bonds of matrimony Sunday p.m. at the home of the bride.  Rev. J.S. HENDERSON officiating.

Friday, June 13, 1902; pg. 1
[partial of a very lengthy article] - It would never do for us to conclude this story without noting the sad loss of four members [only one named] of the above association during the past year.  The most mourned of those gathered to their father's is the late Hodges M. GALLOP.  Mr. GALLOP was a man that was but to be known to be admired.  His friends were numberless and his enemies were not known.  He entered the service nearly 12 years ago.  Three years ago he was appointed keeper of Whales Head Life Saving Station.  At about this time he had perfected the organization of the Surfmen's Mutual Benefit Association of which he was elected president, filling the position until May 7th, 1902 when he departed this life at his home in Corolla.  Hodges M. GALLOP was only 35 years of age at the sad termination of his earthly career.  His every effort had been for the promotion of the best interests of his fellow man.  During his 12 years in the life saving service he accomplished much for his brother surfmen and gained their undying praise and admiration.
pg. 2
JARVISBURG - Mr. W.A. MURRELL lost $500.00 by theft recently.  A negro from Virginian named Edgar GALLOP, employed by Mr. MURRELL, set fire to an outhouse and while the family were trying to subdue the flames the negro stole the money and went to Norfolk.  He has been captured and placed in jail.  The loss to Mr. MURRELL, as the negro had disposed of the money, was almost total.  Only $15.00 was recovered.
pg. 5
    MOYOCK -
Mr. Charles BATEMAN died at his home near Northwest last Saturday of consumption, aged about 60 years.

Friday, June 27, 1902; pg. 2
Mr. Herman SMITH and Miss Pattie O'NEAL were united in holy bonds of matrimony Sunday, June 15th at the home of the bride by Rev. HOBBS.  The attendants were Mr. Van LEWARK and Miss Ida O'NEAL, Mr. Tommy O'NEAL and Miss SMITH.
    We regret to announce the serious illness of our friend, Mr. Joe BANNER.
    The infant son of Mr. John GALLOP died Friday night.

Friday, July 11, 1902; pg. 5
The home of Mr. E. PAYNE was the scene of a beautiful wedding last Sunday evening at 4:30 o'clock. The contracting parties were Mr. Manton WATERFIELD and Miss Levette PAYNE.

Friday, August 1, 1902; pg. 4
Bertha BARNES, aged 11 years, was fatally burned last Saturday, the 19th.  She was lighting a fire in the cook stove with kerosene when the blaze caught in the oil can.  The can exploded and her clothing was ignited and her body fearfully burned.  She lived until Sunday night.  Her body was interred Tuesday morning in the family burying ground.  She leaves a mother, two sisters, a brother and a step-father, with several friends to mourn her death.
    Mrs. Polly MELSON, who has been suffering from paralysis and old age was relieved of her pain and all worldly care Monday night. She was a dear good old woman beloved by all who knew her. The remains were laid to rest in the family graveyard. She leaves one son, one daughter and some grandchildren to mourn the loss of a dear mother and grandmother's love. We all sympathize with the bereaved.

Friday, August 8, 1902; pg. 5
Lieut. S.B. ANSELL of the U.S. Navy, is home on a furlough.  He has traveled around the world and it is a real treat to hear him relate his many and varied experiences in the Philippines and foreign countries.  Mr. ANSELL is a young man in whose distinguished achievements Currituck County rejoices and the State has reason to be proud of this brilliant son.
    With faltering pen we sadly chronicle the death of Mrs. Francis O'NEAL, one of the most estimable women of this county.  The end came on the morning of August 5th surrounded by friends and loved ones.  In her death we lose not only a good neighbor, but a fine type of Christian womanhood.  She was the mother of seven children who are among the most prominent citizens of this county.  Her husband, Mr. Edgar O'NEAL, died in January last.
    POPLAR BRANCH - Our quiet burg was disturbed Friday afternoon when it transpired that Thos. S. BAUM was arrested for selling whiskey without license.  He was boldly running a "blind tiger" in this prohibition territory when he was placed under arrest by Deputy Sheriff POYNERBAUM, who was detained at the store of Mr. C.L. GRANDY, complained of suffering with toothache and was permitted to promenade the porch.  He broke and ran through the darkness and is now supposed to be in hiding in the swamps of the vicinity.  The Sheriff fired upon the fleeing man but to no effect.  Giving up recapturing the prisoner, the Sheriff departed for home.  Soon afterwards BAUM returned to the store and jokingly remarked how he duped the officer.  He loitered about the store for about 2 hours and then left and has not been seen since.  BAUM was formerly in the hotel business in Elizabeth City and is well known there.  He received frequent shipments of liquor from that city and sold to any and everyone who had the price.

Friday, August 22, 1902; pg. 2
A very pretty wedding was celebrated at the residence of Mr. Joseph J. DOSHER at Kitty Hawk, N.C. on last Saturday evening, the contracting parties being Mr. Arthur SANDERLIN of Roanoke Island and Miss Josephine COBBLE of Charlotte, N.C.  The ceremony was performed by Mr. E.V. MELSON of Powells Point who read the beautiful service in an impressive and forceful manner.  Those who attended the bride and groom were as follows: Mr. W.H. FORBES with Miss Holland SANDERLIN; Mr. Willis BAUM with Miss Stella OTTAWAY and Mr. Zenas PERRY with Carrie GASKINS.  The bride was given away by Mrs. S.L. DOSHER.  The bride has made her home with Mr. and Mrs. S.L. DOSHER for the past 6 years and is a lady of exceptionally good qualities and is admired and beloved by all who know her.  The happy young couple left for their home at Roanoke Island, carrying with them the good wishes and congratulations of their many friends at Kitty Hawk.  [Note: Arthur SANDERLIN was the son of Robert Fletcher SANDERLIN and Harriett S. DANIELS.  He married Josephine CORBELL, daughter of Daniel CORBELL and Martha ???.  According to the marriage license they were married August 13, 1902 by E.V. MELSON, Justice of the Peace.]
pg. 5
GRANDY - There was a quiet marriage in our vicinity last Sunday, the contracting parties were Mr. Robert AYDLETT and Miss Wealthy EVANS.
    JARVISBURG - Mr. Nathan OWENS returned from Snowden Friday bringing his beautiful young bride.
    We are sorry to announce the serious illness of Mr. Nathan SAUNDERS.

Friday, August 29, 1902; pg. 2
Miss Bertha MIDGETT and Mr. Mitchell FOSTER were united in the holy bonds of matrimony at the home of the bride last Sunday.
    Miss Lillian RODGERS and Mr. Thos. HUBBARD were married last Sunday afternoon.
    Mr. N.T. AYDLETT is spending a short stay with his father-in-law, Mr. J.G. DUNCAN, in Camden County.
pg. 5
PASSED INTO REST - Mrs. Elijah EVANS died Sunday morning.  This simple announcement chronicles the death of one of Currituck County's oldest citizens, a noble Christian woman who has reached the end of her long pilgrimage and fell to sleep like a little child.  She was one of the senior members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
    A. SIDNEY DOANE DEAD - A. Sidney DOANE, Superintendent of Schools for Currituck County, died at his home in Waterlily on Friday last of typhoid fever.  Mr. DOANE had been ill for some weeks but did not take to his bed until August 7th.  He gradually grew worse and despite the efforts of Drs. GRIGGS and KELLAM, finally succumbed.  A week before he died his brother was telegraphed for and came from the North to nurse him and was with him when the end came.  Mr. DOANE comes of a distinguished New York family.  His grandfather, Dr. A. Sidney DOANE, was Health Officer of the state.  His father, A. Sidney DOANE, was the business manager of the late George P. GORDON, inventor of the Gordon job press and owner of the Academy of Music in Norfolk, Va. and has much property in that state.  Mr. DOANE was also distantly connected with the Right Rev. William Cogswell DOANE, Bishop of Albany, N.Y., and of the Rev. Monsignor DOANE of Newark, N.J.  He had been a resident of Currituck County for about 9 years and was School Superintendent since Jan. 1st last.  The interment was at Waterlily.  Mr. DOANE was a widower.  Two daughters and a son survive him.  He was 26 years old and was born in New York City.

Friday, September 5, 1902; pg. 5
It is generally rumored, and upon authority, that Miss Charlotte MIDGETT of this place and Mr. Oliver NEAL of Nags Head, will be married soon.  [Note:  Oliver O'NEAL married Mrs. Charlotte (Gamiel) MIDGETT at Kitty Hawk, Currituck Co., on September 3, 1902 by Saunderson PAYNE, Magistrate.  Charlotte had been previously married to Ezekiel Daniel MIDGETT who had died July 23, 1898.]

Friday, September 26, 1902; pg. 6
A recent and valuable addition to the city's population is Mr. C.C. AYDLETT and family of Currituck.  Mr. AYDLETT, who has been a prominent merchant of that country for many years, will do a commission and brokerage business in the Robinson building at the foot of Fearing Street.  He will deal extensively in country produce.  The Tar Heel welcomes Mr. AYDLETT and his family.

Friday, October 3, 1902; pg. 6
Aerial navigation or the science of flying in mid-air by artificial means is being perfected and right at our doors.  From the wind swept top of Kill Devil Hill, 120 feet about the ground, a daring young aeronaut leaps into space and traveling upon a frail machine reaches the ground in safety hundreds of yards from whence he leaped.  Next summer he will attach an electric motor and propeller to his contraption and vie with the birds in flight, defying gravitation and adverse winds.  The WRIGHT Bros., two young bicycle manufacturers of Dayton, Ohio, Prof. O. CHANEUT, a noted scientist and aerialist of Chigaco, and Dr. SPRATT, a Philadelphian who has delved deep into the mysteries of aeronautics, are encamped at Kitty Hawk in lower Currituck County.  On the bleak sand banks they have erected a machine shop and in their secluded quarters are thinking, planning and perfecting in hopes of some day startling science and the world with a presentation to mankind, of transportation through space.  This colony of inventors has been encamped at Kitty Hawk for the past three summers and have been laboring arduously in the perfection of a flying machine.  At present their experiments are confined to the aeroplane or gliding machine.  The aeroplane is a flimsy box-kite affair with a number of silken wings and steering attachment of like material.  With this frail contrivance the aeronaut leaps from the crest of the highest sand dune on our banks and borne upon the wind, he steers his queer craft right or left, goes downward or upward until the velocity of the wind abates and compels a descent.  These experiments have proved successful and the enthusiastic inventors will next summer attach propelling power to their invention and no longer rely upon the wind.  They have discovered that their machine will work successfully in mid-air so long as the wind maintains a velocity of 11 miles an house.  They have perfected a motor and propeller that will drive the machine and all that remains is to connect the two.  This they are now preparing to do and another year will declare their efforts--failure or success.  They claim there can be no failure.

Friday, October 17, 1902; pg. 1
It is with regret that the Tar Heel chronicles the death of Mrs. A.J. FORBES of Jarvisburg.  She departed this life Sunday, Oct. 12th, 1902 and Tuesday morning her remains were tenderly interred in the old Jarvis Cemetery.  Mrs. FORBES was in the sixtieth year of her age and to the time of her death a faithful member of Poplar Branch M.E. Church.  She was a sister of Ex-Governor JARVIS of North Carolina and from one of the oldest and best families in eastern North Carolina.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. BRADLEY.  The pallbearers were: J.W. FISHER, N.B. OWENS, D.S. WRIGHT, John WOOD, N.H. CAROON and D.R. SCOTT.
    MEMORIAL RESOLUTIONS - Fruitville Lodge #102 I.O.O.F of Knotts Island, N.C., lost one of its best members in the person of brother Jas. R. WATERFIELD who departed this life Sept. 29th in his 34th year.  Though he had not risen high in the lodge, he was a good member and an exemplary citizen.  His death marks the first loss to our lodge since it was organized in 1890.
pg. 2
NAGS HEAD - Mr. Lewis LEWARK leaves us for Currituck County where he has accepted a position in the life saving station.
    Mr. W.T. FULCHER departed this life on the 10th inst. after a protracted illness in which he suffered much and was patient to the end.  He was a good man and to him death had no sting.  His end was peaceful and bright and a consolation to all who have an abiding faith in Jesus.
    COROLLA - October 9th is a day long to be remembered by the sturdy and sun-tanned men who have hauled many fish from the bosom of the old Atlantic.  On this day Mr. John H. LEWARK and his neighbors landed 30,000 mullets, fat and full-grown.  On the previous day they made a haul of 25,000.  Mr. LEWARK is a veteran fisherman and says that this is the largest catch of fish within the memory of men living on this coast.  There were supposed to have been as many as 60,000 fish in the net but they were turned out for fear of tearing the net and because of the impossibility of landing them.
    HARBINGER - Mr. Oscar EVANS and Miss Lucinda WATERFIELD were married last Sunday afternoon at the home of the bride.  A large number of friends were present.
    Mrs. N.E. DULIN and Mr. DOYAL, prominent young widow and widower of this place, were solemnly united in the holy bonds of matrimony on the evening of Sept. 30.
pg. 4
RETURNED FROM THE WEST - Mr. Thomas NEWBERN of Currituck County passed through this city on the 14th inst. enroute home from Indian Territory where he has been on an extended visit to his sons, Thomas and Albert.  He is looking in the best of health and reports a pleasant trip but like "Farmer John" thinks the best part of the trip is getting home.  In an interview with Mr. NEWBERN our reporter gained some interesting information concerning the "Wild and Wooly West".  Speaking of it he said in fertility it is unsurpassed, raising from 40 to 80 barrel of corn per acre.  The people last becoming enlightened and the rough ways of these people are now a thing of the past.  Hundreds of families of culture and refinement have moved into this territory and made it what it is today.  Messrs. Albert and Thomas NEWBERN, JR. are well known in this section and have many relatives in Currituck County.  They went to Texas 15 years ago bust, wound their way in the lands of the Indians and discovered the wealth of that section and its possibilities.  They are now prominent merchants and doing such a successful business that they promise to out rival their father as a financier.
pg. 5
JARVISBURG - Mr. W.H. GREGORY was called to the bedside of his sick brother in Philadelphia.
    Miss Sadie A. WRIGHT left Saturday morning for Norfolk where she will visit her grandfather who has reached his 75th year.  She was accompanied by her mother.
pg. 8
TOLD IN BRIEF - Mr. Myron E. FORBES and wife of Norfolk, Va., who was called to the bedside of his dying mother, Mrs. A.J. FORBES of Jarvisburg on Saturday, was in our city yesterday enroute home.

Friday, October 31, 1902; pg. 2
Mr. and Mrs. Jessie EVANS accompanied by their sister, Miss Laura WOODHOUSE of Poplar Branch, and her friend Miss Maggie PRITCHARD of Pasquotank stopped here last week while enroute for Mr. EVANS home in Corolla.
    Mr. Charlie H. FORBES, a surfman of this station, received quite a sad message Saturday summoning him to the bedside of his mother.  He has our deepest sympathy.

Friday, November 7, 1902; pg. 1
Little Bill MIDGETT of Dare and Martha FULCHER of Currituck.
pg. 2
POYNER'S HILL - Miss Mary WESCOTT is quite ill with typhoid fever at Dr. COGGSWELL's in Kitty Hawk.  Her mother, Mrs. J.T. WESCOTT is with her.
    We regret to hear of the serious illness of Mrs. George JARVIS of Jarvisburg.
pg. 5
SNOWDEN - Died at the residence of his parents in Moyock, N.C. on Tuesday, Oct. 28, 1902, Arthur MARVIN, the only child of Dr. and Mrs. S.M. MARVIN, aged 18 months and 2 days.

Friday, November 14, 1902; pg. 1
In the death of Capt. A.J. AUSTIN, keeper of Paul Gamel Life Saving Station, on the 5th inst., Currituck County has lost one of its best citizens and the U.S. Life Saving Service one of its most efficient men.  Captain AUSTIN was about 60 years of age and had been keeper of this station several years.  No keeper is the service was more popular with his men, and none stood higher with the federal authorities.  He was a high toned Christian gentleman and had been a local preacher of the Primitive Baptist Church.  His remains were interred at Kitty Hawk near the scene of his life's labor and where the ceaseless waves of the Atlantic will sing a requiem over the last of him who had rescued many an imperiled mariner from their angry clutch.  Capt. AUSTIN will probably be succeeded by Thos. HARRIS who, for several years, has been his number one man.  Mr. HARRIS is very popular and in every respect merits the position.

Friday, January 30, 1903; pg. 4
AYDLETT - It is with sorrowing heart that we chronicle the death of one of our most esteemed and Christian citizens.  Mr. Isaac HAMPTON, the subject of this sketch, quietly passed away Jan. 22, 1903, aged about 63 years, after a severe illness of two weeks.  Mr. HAMPTON was an earnest worker in the church of Christ.  He was Supt. of the Sunday School at Ebenezer M.E. Church for a number of years.  He leaves a devoted wife and three daughters, together with a host of relatives and friends to mourn their loss.

Friday, February 6, 1903; pg. 5
KNOTS [sic] ISLAND - Last Friday while Leonard ATKERSON was in the act of making sail on his gunning boat, his gun fired, the load taking effect in his back and making a dreadful wound.  Dr. MASON was called to see him and dressed the wound.
    Mrs. J. Upton WATERFIELD is very ill at her home on Bay Avenue
    Mr. Wm. J. BEASLEY met with a sad accident last Monday, having cut one of his thumbs off.
    Last Friday seemed to be a day of accidents.  Mr. Griffin WATERFIELD and Mr. S.P. COOPER came very near being drowned by their boat being capsized.  Help came in time to save the drowning men.
    POYNER'S HILL - With deep regret we announce the death of Mr. William MURRILL who died at his home in Jarvisburg Friday, January 30th.  Mr. MURRILL was a member of the S.M.B.A from which his widow and orphans will receive $500.  The sorrowing family have our sympathy.

Friday, February 13, 1903; pg. 4
KNOTS [sic] ISLAND - On the 7th inst. J.E. ANSELL was married to Miss Maggie, the accomplished daughter of Mrs. Carolina WATTERMAN.

Friday, February 20, 1903; pg. 2
POPLAR BRANCH - Last Wednesday during a squall Mr. Tunis CORBELL was drowned by his boat capsizing.  Our sympathy is with his bereaved family.  He was a member of the I.O.O.F. and was buried by that Order.
pg. 8
    DESTRUCTIVE STORM SWEEPS OVER MOYOCK LEAVING A WAKE OF DEBRIS - Monday night about ten o'clock this section was visited by what will be remembered as the most disastrous wind and rain storm of recent years.  The damage done to property was extensive and the loss, in some cases, are severe.  Few escaped altogether, while raised fences, barns, stables and so on, are common.  Many houses were lifted from their underpinning and set down some feet away.   While the buildings remained firm, the window panes, sashes and all were blown out and doors split.  The roads are blocked by fallen trees--the lumber loss is considerable.  Following is a partial list of damages done.  Mr. T.L. JARVIS was, we hope, the heaviest loser as only his home was left standing when the storm had passed.  All outbuildings were demolished and some livestock by the falling trunks.  The hay and corn in the stables was scattered so as to be a total loss, and a tenant house was destroyed.  The homestead of Mr. T.C. SANDERSON was also in part of the storm and the report says that only the dwelling house is left standing.  The new house of Mr. Hillary CREEKMORE was lifted from the blocks and set down again some feet away with its brick destroyed.  A house owned by Mr. M.P. CREEKMORE suffered similar treatment and several small houses occupied by negro families were turned over.  The steeple and bell were removed from the colored Baptist and also the Methodist Church carried some distance.  The storage house of C.R. VANDECARR & Co. was completely demolished.  Their grain elevator and shuck-house are also damaged but repairs are going forward.  But for the swamps which protected the east side of the village, it is likely that it would have been far worse.  Many calamities are unrecorded for lack of space.  Every one suffered in a greater or less degree and Moyock wants a warning before this kind of things comes again.

Friday, February 27, 1903; pg. 2
AYDLETT - We are sorry to announce the death of Tenner [Tunis] CORBELL who was drowned in Currituck Sound Feb. the eleventh.  He was a member of the Ebenezer M.E. Church also a member of the I.O.O.F.  He was a good quiet young man and had many friends to mourn his loss.  He leaves a wife and several children.  The funeral was preached by Rev. W.A. PILAND.
pg. 3
    POPLAR BRANCH -Last Wednesday at about five o'clock in the afternoon God's voice called the soul of Timis [Tunis] L. CORBELL and found him ready.  When the summons came Mr. CORBELL was in a sail boat between Narrows Island and the railway dock at this place with his partner, Mr. Chas. OWENS.  The boat was capsized and both were thrown into the water.  They gained the overturned boat but were twice again thrown off by the evidence of wind and wave.  Mr. OWENS succeeded in reaching the boat a third time and was rescued.  Mr. CORBELL's body was not recovered until Thursday morning.  He was a member of the Poplar Branch Lodge, I.O.O.F. and of the Methodist Church, and leaves a wife and three small children.  His sudden death was a great shock to the whole community.

Friday, March 6, 1903; pg. 2
MOYOCK - On the evening of February 25 at eight o'clock, Moyock M.E. Church was the scene of a quiet but very pretty wedding, the contracting parties being Miss Alice Robert POYNER and Mr. William Hilary CREEKMORE, both of this place.  To strains of the Lohengrin wedding march, the couple approached the altar, the bride attended by Miss Bettie BURGESS of Shawboro, as Maid of Honor.  The groom was attended by Mr. Mark HATHAWAY as best man.  After Rev. J.Y. OLD had pronounced them man and wife, the whole party proceeded to the residence of the bride's mother, Mrs. POYNER.  Miss Una REESE presided at the organ in her usual accomplished manner.  Messrs. R.W. WILKEN and W.T. HOLT acted as ushers.  Both Miss POYNER and Mr. CREEKMORE are well known and popular in this vicinity.
pg. 8
    HARBINGER - Mr. W.A. EVANS died at Harbinger February 26, age 63 years.  He was a consistent faithful and active member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  In his business relations and as a farmer, he was straight forward and honest.  The deceased leaves a wife and nine children.  He was a brother to J.B. EVANS who is well and favorably known in this community.

Friday, March 13, 1903; pg. 1
CURRITUCK, N.C. - Mr. Nathan SAWYER of Currituck, and Mr. Maurice DANIEL of Dare County, left Roanoke Island for Powell's Point on a short visit.  The boat which they occupied was caught in a whirlwind and capsized near Point Harbor.  It drifted from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. when about two miles sou'west of Martin's Point club.  They were seen by Mr. Morris BEASLEY, who went to the rescue and managed to get them to the shore in safety.  The two gentlemen were treated with every possible courtesy and though greatly fatigued were not injured by the fearful ordeal.

Friday, March 20, 1903; pg. 8
JARVISBURG - It is with deep regret that we chronicle the death of Mrs. C.H. WILSON who departed this life March 1st.  Mrs. WILSON was a member of the Baptist church and has been for several years.  She was a devoted wife, a kind and loving mother and by her death our community has lost one of its most highly esteemed neighbors.  She leaves a husband and four children who deeply mourn her loss and our greatest sympathy is extended to the sorrowing family.  The funeral services was conducted by Rev. W.A. PILAND and her remains were tenderly laid away in the Owens Cemetery.

Friday, March 27, 1903; pg. 2
CURRITUCK, N.C. - Mr. Edward DRINKWATER, member of the Life Saving Station, married on the 11th inst. at Currituck Inlet, Miss Ida, the accomplished daughter of Thomas O'NEAL, at the home of the bride.  Justice BOWDEN, better known as the Boss Man, performed the ceremony.  Both parties are popular here and they have the good wishes of a large circle of friends.
    We regret very much to say that Mrs. Rolly C., the wife of J.B. LITCHFIELD, died on our Island the 16th inst.  May the good Lord bless and console the bereaved in their hour of great affliction.

Friday, April 10, 1903; pg. 1

Friday, April 17, 1903; pg. 2
    GRANDY -
Ex-Governor, Thomas J. JARVIS, is visiting his relatives at Jarvisburg.  Sunday he addressed the Sunday School at Mt. Zion (Poplar Branch) M.E. Church.  His address was highly appreciated.  Sixty years ago he was a member of the Sunday School here and he attributes his success in life largely to the influences of that Sabbath School
    At about 2 o'clock p.m. we had a quiet marriage.  The contracting parties were Mr. John SMITH of Pasquotank and Mrs. Martha A. BAUM, relict of the late Jacob BAUM, a nephew of Mr. Josephus BAUM of this county.  Mr. Samuel McHARNEY, J,P., tied the knot at the residence of Mr. Ed. OWENS  Only a few friends were present.  We tender them our sincere congratulations and wish them a long and happy life.

Friday, April 24, 1903; pg. 2
    GRANDY -
Mrs. U.M. BARCO and daughters, Nettie and Nellie, spent Sunday at the home of Mrs. Jessie EVANS.
    There was a marriage in our vicinity last Thursday evening between John SMITH and Mrs. Annie BAUM.

Friday, June 26, 1903; pg. 6
Thursday evening at the home of the bride, Miss Annie SIMPSON and Mr. Walter CAPPS were made one by Justice BOWDEN.
    Miss Mabel BOWDEN and Mr. SAUNDERS were made man and wife by Judge BOWDEN Sunday night.  They left immediately for their future home in Princess Anne County, Va.

Friday, July 17, 1903; pg. 7
Mr. Leary NIXON and Miss Mary MERREL were quietly married at the M.E. Church last Wednesday night by Rev. W.A. PILAND.  The bride and groom left immediately for their future home at Winfall.
    It is with regret that we announce the serious illness of Mr. Morris OWENS who received painful injuries in a runaway last Wednesday evening and wish for him a speedy recovery.

Friday, July 31, 1903; pg. 7
With faltering pen and sorrowing hearts we chronicle the death of Mr. T.J. POYNER who died at his home at 283 York Street, Norfolk, Va., Wednesday, July 22, 1903, after a few days illness.  Everything possible was done to save him but death claimed him for his own.  For 29 years Mr. POYNER was president of the Currituck Shooting Club and was superintendent of this district (#7, now #6) for 5 years.  During the year 1877 when the passenger boat Huron was stranded near here, Mr. POYNER helped to remove the bodies of the drowned and provided a home for several of the officers.  For these acts of kindness the government awarded him a very handsome gun which is kept as a sacred relic.  September 17, 1885 Mr. POYNER married Miss Mary Yeuba WOODHOUSE, daughter of Colonel WOODHOUSE who for many years was representative of Currituck County and was in the state legislature.  They lived here 17 years and last September moved to Norfolk.  He was interred in the family burying ground by the side of his son.  A large crowd witnessed the sad and solemn scene.  Mr. POYNER leaves a wife, two sons, a sister, and a host of friends to mourn his loss.
    DEATH OF MRS. TILLETT - Again it is our sad duty to announce the death of our much loved friend, Mrs. Thomas J. TILLETT, who died at her home in Penny's Hill, July 24, 1903.  As the shades of night were falling o'er the earth and the stars came out to light the way, the angel of death laid his finger gently upon her and she fell asleep to awaken not on this earth but in a brighter happier world.  The community has lost one of its best Christian workers.  She has been an earnest Christian for many years.  Mrs. TILLETT leaves a husband, 8 children, an aged mother, 4 brothers and a large circle of friend to mourn her loss.

Friday, August 14, 1903; pg. 1
A very pretty marriage was solemnized in the parlor of the Arlington Hotel Tuesday evening at 7 o'clock when Miss Lea WHITE became the wife of Mr. G.G. SNOW.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. C.W. DUKE of the Baptist church, in the presence of several friends of this city.  Miss WHITE is a very attractive young lady and is the eldest daughter of Mr. L.R. WHITE, a prominent citizen of Corolla, Currituck County.  Mr. SNOW is a young man of fine traits and is a member of the Penny's Hill Life Saving Crew.  He stands well in the service.

Friday, September 11, 1903; pg. 1
That Currituck County is to have a telephone line is now a certainty.  The necessity for such a convenience to the progressive truckers of that county has long been appreciated, but not till this week has the enterprise assumed appearance of success. Mr. D.O. NEWBERRY was in Currituck this week with a view to soliciting subscriptions for stock in the company which is to be known as the Currituck Telephone Company.  Mr. NEWBERRY assures the Tar Heel that the contract for the construction will be given out in a few days and that in a few weeks Elizabeth City will be connected with all parts of that fertile county and that a merchant here can set in his store in this city and say hello to the country merchants without the necessary expense of a salesman and horse and buggy to solicit their orders.  This project mean much to the farmers and merchants of Currituck.  This county is already in the lead in the production of truck and other things which have a fluctuating market.  Such a service will enable them to keep posted as to the very latest market quotations as well as the condition of the weather.  The stock of the new enterprise is subscribed to mostly by the people of Currituck.  Articles of incorporation have been forwarded to the Secretary of State and work will begin as soon as the papers are sent back.
pg. 8
MARRIAGE AT MOYOCK - A beautiful home wedding was celebrated here Tuesday, September 1st.  The contracting parties were Miss Rudolph FREEMAN of this place, and Mr. Paul R. OUTLAW of Greenville.  The impressive ceremony was performed by Rev. Geo. GREEN, a member of the Virginia Conference and a relative of the bride.  The home was tastefully decorated and presented a scene of loveliness.  The attendants were: Miss Rose OUTLAW of Hertford, N.C., sister of the groom, with Mr. J. Alva NICHOLS of Phoebus, Virginia; Miss Adelaide SIVILLS of Elizabeth City with Mr. Paul Irving NICHOLS of Phoebus, Virginia; Miss CARTWRIGHT of Elizabeth City with Mr. Elbert CONOVER of Newport News, Virginia; Miss Sadie FEARING of Elizabeth City with Mr. Wm. POYNER of Norfolk.  Miss Bessie ASKEW, sister of the bride, was maid of honor.  The wedding march was rendered by Miss Helen SHEEP, of Elizabeth City.  After the ceremony, the happy couple departed for Hertford where a reception was given in their honor by relatives of the groom.  The following day they went to Greenville, N.C. which place they will make their future home.  The groom is the editor of the Greenville Reflector.

Friday, October 2, 1903; pg. 7
In the presence of a large number of relatives and friends at Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church at 7:30 o'clock Wednesday evening, September 23rd, Miss Dixie FORBES became the bride of Mr. Willie HAMPTON.  The beautiful and impressive ceremony was performed by Rev. W.A. PILAND.  Miss Nina HARRISON presided at the organ and as the audience was being seated she sang "O Promise Me".  As the beautiful strains of Mendelsohn's Wedding March pealed forth, the bridal party entered in the following order: Miss Bertie SAWYER of Hickory, Va. with Mr. John T. HAMPTON, brother of the groom, followed by the bride leaning on the arm of the groom.  The bride and maid of honor were handsomely gowned in white organdy and carried white roses.  The groom wore the conventional black.  Immediately after the ceremony the bridal party, with a large number of invited guests, repaired to the home of the bride where a dainty luncheon was served.

Friday, October 16, 1903; pg. 5
The wedding bells have ceased ringing since last Wednesday when on that day Mr. John GALLOP and Miss Lydia WRIGHT were united in holy wedlock by Rev. W.A. PILAND.

Friday, October 23, 1903; pg. 8
Capt. William GUARD departed this life October 8th at the King's Daughters Hospital in Portsmouth, Va. in his 68th year.  He came to this city about 20 years ago and resided here until a few weeks ago when he went to the hospital for treatment.  His remains were brought to this city for burial and the funeral was conducted from the residence of his son, Capt. J.H. GUARD.  The interment was in the family plot in the Episcopal cemetery.  Capt. GUARD had followed the water the better part of his life.  In his late years he was a consistent member of the Baptist church and took much interest in the Sunday School at the Riverside Chapel.  [NOTE:  I wasn't sure this man had anything to do with Currituck County since it wasn't mentioned in the obituary but I know the GUARD family was prominent in Currituck at one time.]

Friday, October 30, 1903; pg. 5
It is with the deepest regret that we announce the death of little Sallie, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. GREGORY, who departed this life Tuesday, October 20th.  Our greatest sympathy is extended to the bereaved parents.  They loved her well but the Heavenly Father has called her home where there is no pain or sorrow.
pg. 8
LOCAL PARAGRAPHS - Mr. W.S. MERCER, our venerable friend from Currituck County, was a visitor Monday.  He says that he is yet a young man, though he has seen 68 summers.  He affirms that he is good for many years yet.  Mr. MERCER was married the second time last December.  He travels for W.T. Hood & Co., a reliable nursery farm of Richmond, Va.

Friday, November 27, 1903; pg. 5
We are sorry to have to chronicle the death of the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. ROBERTS.  Fanny ROBERTS departed this life on Friday night last at 2:30 o'clock and is now resting with the angels.  She was a sweet child and was very much beloved by all who knew her.  She leave many friends who sympathize deeply with the sorrowing parents.

Friday, December 4, 1903; pg. 1
    Knott's Island Correspondence - MARRIAGE AT KNOTT'S ISLAND -
Mr. Walter F. ANSELL of the firm of W.E. Bonney & Co., and Miss Agnes C. BONNEY, the beautiful and accomplished daughter of Mr. Ferdinand BONNEY, JR., of the firm of Bonney & Ansell, were recently married at the county seat by Justice E.R. JOHNSON.
    Mr. Bailey O'NEAL and family, of Elizabeth City, have move in our town.  We welcome them to our midst.

Friday, December 16, 1903; pg. 6
Jarvisburg, N.C.; On Friday, December 11th, a dark gloom overshadowed our community when the angel of death claimed as its victim Mr. Pyron G. GALLOP.  He had been confined to his bed for 7 weeks and was under the careful treatment of Dr. W.T. GRIGGS, who rendered every assistance to save him, but his case was fatal and after all that his loving one could possibly do for him, they had but to stand by and see his spirit pass away into the great beyond.  He leaves an aged mother, one sister, three brothers and three daughters, to all of whom he was most tenderly devoted.  Mr. GALLOP was a consistent member of the Methodist church and had been for several years.  He was also a member of the Masonic Lodge and I.O.O.F.  In his death Currituck County loses one of its best citizens.  He was highly respected by all who knew him and his loss will be greatly mourned.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. PILAND and his remains were tenderly laid to rest in the family graveyard.

No part of these records may be used for any commercial purposes. However, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. If you find anything here that pertains to your families, I would strongly suggest that you look at the record on your own to check for errors or possibly other additional and helpful information.



Return to USGenWeb

Return to NCGenWeb

2003 Kay M. Sheppard