Return to Currituck Co.

Contributed by Kay Midgett Sheppard

Friday, August 23, 1935; pg. 1

Preston Daniels Has Dug Up Relics Left by His Grandfather of Over 60 Years Ago at Wanchese

    One of the most interesting collections of historical things pertaining entirely to Dare County is a bunch of old papers and curios found in the sea chest of the late Charles Skinner DANIELS, father of the late E.R. DANIELS, and grandfather of Preston DANIELS of Wanchese.  Preston DANIELS found these old papers some years ago and some of them are more than 100 years old.
    Among the most interesting items is a marriage contract made by Aaron BARNETT who gave bond in the sum of 500 pounds current money of the state that he would marry Polly BRYANT, both of Currituck County, as Roanoke Island was then known.  The bond was signed by Aaron BARNETT, James S. BARNETT and Samuel MIDGETT on November 19, 1820.
    There are a number of other interesting items in this collection, among the most interesting being a letter from Glenn Cove, New York dated Feb. 3, 1869 which is as follows.  It reveals how the name "Rollins" came to be given to so many people in the family of E.R. DANIELS.  It seems that there was a Captain C.J. RAWLINGS who lived in Glen Cove, Queens County, NY and had been coming to this section and was no doubt a good friend of the DANIELS family.

My Dear Friend,
    It is 21 years since I was at your house.  Through them all, God has been very good to me and mine.  He may chastise us, but he never forsakes those that put their trust in him.  I claim that promise, praise him.  I have been anxious about you.  How is it with you?  I have not heard from you since the cruel war has ceased.  Is my Aunt Sally still living?  I want you or John Daniels to write to me and let me know all about your families.  Is M.M. CUDWORTH still living?  I think Johnny is dead.  My sister had a son born last week; will call it Thomas.  She and her family is all well; the son and two daughters is her family; all with me wishes to be remembered to all N.C. friends.  You know I have a wife I tell is handsome and young.  My daughter is to be married soon.  Now I shall close this by wishing you all health, happiness, prosperity.  You may expect more in my next after hearing from you.  From your affectionate cousin.  /signed/ C.J. ROWLLINGS

Friday, April 16, 1943; pg. 1


Maj. Harold Marcellus GALLOP, native of Currituck County, noted flier of World War I, first lieutenant of the first aero squadron organized in the United States, died at West Palm Beach, Fla. after a long illness.  He was buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Norfolk on Tuesday will full military honors.  Maj. GALLOP took part in the St. Mihiel and Argonne-Meuse offensives in the last war and was decorated by both the French and American governments, receiving the Croix du Guerre, Silver Star and Purple Heart.  He did research in Europe for the Army after the last war.  Later he aided in establishment of airline connections in China on invitation of the Chinese government.  Maj. GALLOP was born March 25, 1895, the son of Mrs. Margaret HARRISON and late Capt. Hodges GALLOP, both of Currituck County.  He leaves his mother and his wife, Mrs. Amy Jergens GALLOP and an aunt, Mrs. Harrison CLEVE of New York, formerly of Norfolk.

Friday, August 20, 1943; pg. 1


Moses GALLOP, negro desperado who was arrested while in a drunken stupor in the home of Mattie GALLOP, his estranged wife, several days ago, was taken to Norfolk Saturday by Detective Leon NOWITSKY to answer for the slaying for a negro named Stewart DeGROAT nine years ago.  GALLOP escaped from Norfolk wearing women's clothes and went to Baltimore where he remained a long time.  He has been living in Currituck County for several months and returned a time or two to Roanoke Island.  His wife, with whom he had much trouble, reported to the police that he had broken into her home.  GALLOP, ordinarily a hard working man, has a record for violence and trouble.  With his brother, LaSalle, some years ago he shot up some officers in Currituck County.  While living on Roanoke Island some 10 years ago he got into trouble over bootlegging, was let off lightly and soon afterward had trouble with his wife and when an attempt was made to arrest him he took a couple of shots at Sheriff Victor MEEKINS from ambush, got some negroes to take him across the sound at night and remained away for several years.

Friday, May 12, 1944; pg. 1


    An old letter recently came to light, written in 1909 by James R. HOBBS of Kitty Hawk to his old friend Thos. T. TOLER of Skyco brings out many interesting things.  It tells of the undying pride of an old couple doing their own housework and cooking.
    The late Capt. James HOBBS once was a famous character at Kitty Hawk.  He was once tried for murder and acquitted when he shot and killed Theophilus DANIELS of Wanchese for insulting remarks directed to his family.  Capt. HOBBS died some 30 years ago at Kitty Hawk and Capt. Tom TOLER died much later.  As young men they sailed the seas.  Their friendship lasted until death.  It is a far cry from 92 years ago when it took more than three and a half months to reach California from New York.  There was no Panama Canal then--travel was in sailing ships.
    Mrs. Pattie TOLER, the widow of Capt. TOLER, found the letter the other day.  It says:

Kitty Hawk, N.C. - Nov. 7, 1909
Dear Tom and Old Friend and Playmate and Shipmate

After love to you and family I oftimes think of you and oftimes think to write to you but 'crastination is always the thief of time.  The other day while overlooking my old books I found the dates when we left New York for San Francisco.  December 10, 1852 we went on board of the clipper ship "Winged Racer" and sailed on the 12th for San Francisco, 53 days to Cape Horn and 55 more to the Golden Gate, making 108 days; 57 years this December--that is a lifetime for some people.  Well, dear friend I have a hard time of it in this world in my old age, but thank God it is no worse but time will fetch all things to a close.  Nothing here has any appearance of our boyhood.  Well, my old woman (I mean that beautiful girl I married 54 years ago) part of the time she can make out to cook what we eat by my waiting on her but thanks to God I am yet on the stage of action--able to cut and saw my own wood and keep a fire.  Well, dear Tom I hope this will reach you all right and find you and family enjoying good health.  As for me I am most worn out but as well as can be expected and my old darling will never be well.

Yours most truly old shipmate,
James R. HOBBS

Like his father, young John TOLER of Skyco went to sea for many years but has been hopelessly crippled as the result of some malady contracted in India.  He is a cripple at home but many old friends and neighbors come to see him.  Every Sunday afternoon for the past year, except for two when weather conditions prevented, his friends and neighbors have come to his home and brought him a hymn and prayer service.  With his wife, mother and little son, there are quite comfortable and enjoy the highest esteem and affection.

Friday, July 28, 1944; pg. 6


    The lower end of Currituck County, Roanoke Island and the entire Dare County Coast was well represented in the militia company under Capt. Jacob FARROW 220 years ago or such a matter, according to the Colonial Records of this State.
    The names were of the older families known to us today, although the spelling varies.  For instance, we see well-known names spelled thus: BURRAS, PEW, PAIN, WHIDBEY, GENNETT, STOW, TOLLER, DOE, WESCOAT, DANIELL, GAMEWELL, the latter must have been the name known as GAMIEL.
    Here is the full list of names given in Capt. FARROW's company.

Jacob FARROW, Cap'n.

William ROLLINSON, Corporal
John WOOD, Lieutenant William TAYLOR, Clark [Clerk?]
Nicholas LUNN, Ensign Joseph MIDGETT, Drummer
Christopher O'NEAL, Serjeant Adam BAUM, Serjeant
Williams MEEKINS James WAHAB John IVES Edward MANN
Francis PEEL Jabish GENNET Joseph MARTYN Thos. EDBINS
Joseph WILLIAMS John DOWDY Phillip WILLIAMS Elekoander BROWN
Samuel PAIN Christopher ONEAL Henry WRIGHT Caleb TOLLER
Samuel STOW, SEN'R. Joseph LINN? ______ JONES John GAMEWELL
Samuel STOW, JUN'R. John BAUM ______ ROGERS John PAULMER
Thomas STOW Benj. TILLETT Edmond JONES Solomon ASBY
John ONEAL, Serg. Benjamin SIKES George DOE Sam'l. MIDGETT
John WHIDBEY James GRANT Anthony SUPEL George DOE
Joseph MASKEW Marmaduke SAVELL Stephen WESCOTE Joseph MIDGETT
Edwd. MANN Sampson DOE William MANN John FOULKNER



NOTE: For comparison, another abstract of this same list can be found here.

Friday, September 8, 1944; pg. 6 & 7 [This was a VERY lengthy article and is not included here in it's entirety.]

by Rev. C.T. Thrift, Warsaw, N.C.

It is only natural and inevitable that Methodism should come hither just as it was going into all the world.  People, both men and women, who had the Methodist experience in their hearts came to the New World.  Robert STRAWBRIDGE, a Methodist local preacher, came to Maryland in 1765 or 1766 and went to preaching immediately.  Robert WILLIAMS preached the first Methodist sermon in Virginia at Norfolk in the spring of 1772.  Joseph PILMOOR preached the first Methodist sermon in North Carolina at Currituck Court House on September 28, 1772.  He organized the first Methodist Society in Virginia at Portsmouth on November 14 of the same year.  Robert WILLIAMS organized the first Methodist Society in Halifax Co., North Carolina in 1773 or 1774.  Methodism had entered this part of the state in a great revival which spread from the Brunswick Circuit in Virginia of which Robert WILLIAMS was the pastor.  This marvelous revival had already begun under the leadership of Rev. Ievereux JARRATT of the Church of England when WILLIAMS came.  It spread through fourteen counties in southern Virginia, and crossing the Roanoke River, swept over Halifax and Bute (now Franklin and Warren) in this state.  Carolina Circuit was formed by the Conference which met in Baltimore May 21, 1776.  Three preachers were assigned to this new circuit: Edward DROMGOOLE, Francis POYTHRESS, and Isham TATUM.  In the latter part of 1782, Rev. Caleb PEDICORD, the presiding elder, sent Edward DROMGOOLE and Jesse LEE to eastern Carolina in order to travel through that section and plan a new circuit if the outlook was sufficiently hopeful.  They reached Edenton on December 1, 1782.  From there they made a preaching tour through Pasquotank and a part of Camden as far as Norfolk Co., Va.  They returned through Currituck, passed Sligo, which DROMGOOLE named after his native place in Ireland on Sligo Bay.  (When he married and located in Brunswick County, Va. he named his home there also Sligo.)  DROMGOOLE and LEE went as far as Coinjock and spent a night with Col. Hallowell WILLIAMS who had entertained PILMOOR on his visit to that section.  They preached at Indian Town and pursued their way through Camden, Pasquotank and Perquimans.  After making this tour they drew the plan for Camden Circuit.  The new circuit, however, appears on the minutes of 1783 as Pasquotank, but in 1784 Camden appears for the first time and it remained on the list of appointments in the Virginia Conference until 1875.  This circuit embraced Currituck County in its ample boundaries.

What the Old Record Book Tells

To bring this out clearly, we are fortunate in being able to turn to the official record.  In those early days Camden Circuit embraced also Currituck County.  The writer has before him the Quarterly Conference Record Book of Currituck Mission.  The date of the first Quarterly Conference cannot be made out for the ancient page has been destroyed at that place by bookworms.  The place of meeting was Roanoke Island.  Spencer DANIEL was the secretary and James M. DARDEN was the president.  Under the question, "What other business is there to come before this Conference?" the answer was given--"The appointment of some stewards is necessary."  William DANIEL, Thomas MIDGETT, Edward MANN, Henry HOMES and Griffin SAWYER were elected stewards.  In addition to these, the member of that conference were: Caleb LEACH, James M. DARDEN, Avery DANIEL, Spencer DANIEL, Noel CARROW, William N. WROTEN, Charles G. WILLIAMS, Caleb SAWYER, Joshua GUARD, and William GUARD.  Caleb LEACH must have been the presiding elder and James M. DARDEN the preacher in charge, thought that part of the page carrying this information is entirely gone.  All the others were Class Leaders.  Mention is made of the fact that William N. WROTEN was "lost at sea" and that Griffin SAWYER died during the year.  Caleb LEACH does not seem to have visited the charge during the year as all the minutes are signed by James M. DARDEN.  This was the organization of the Currituck Mission and the time of this Conference was in the winter or spring of 1839 because the second Conference was held June 24th of that year.  The place was upper Crowetan [Croatan].  Besides this class there were others at The Banks, Roanoke Island, Stumpy Point, Lower Crowetan and The Lake.  So Methodism had made considerable headway in all that region.  Mill Tail was added in 1839; Nags Head in 1842; Nags Head Banks in 1843; Roanoke Island was divided into the North End and South End in 1844; Kitty Hawk was added in 1845; James GUARD's in 1849; Bethel in 1852.  Caleb SAWYER was given license to preach July 7, 1846.  Edward P. WILSON, helper on the mission, was recommended to the Virginia Conference for the traveling ministry on July 30, 1842.

Early Church Buildings

There was a church building at Lower Croatan for Quarterly Conferences which were held there May 14, 182 and May 21, 1843.  The trustees of the Croatan church made the following report October 27, 1846:  "We the trustees of Croatan Church tho not ceiled it has a good stove and is Comfortable for Worship during the winter."  There was a church building at Lake for it was dedicated October 8, 1848.  Concerning this church we find this record of July 15, 1854:  "A complaint having been made against Trimigan SANDERLIN for closing the Church against all Preachers indiscriminately, the Quarterly Conference decided that the said Trimigan SANDERLIN restore the key to Thomas BURGESS with the understanding that the trustees of said church admit none to preach in the Church except Methodist ministers and those who may be sound in the faith."  At this same conference "Morris ROGERS and Wallace TWIFORD tendered their resignations as Trustees of Lake Church which was accepted."

Pastors and Presiding Elders

It may be of interest to learn the names of the pastors which served Currituck Mission up to 1857, as far as the record goes.  James M. DARDEN (1839); W.H. STARR (1840); C.M. SCHRAPPE? (1841); W.H. STARR (1842); Nathan POYNER (1843-45); Allen CARNES (1846); Bannister H. JARVIS (1847-48); Nathan POYNER (1852); B.H. JARVIS (1853); John S. BRIGGS (1854); John W. WORRYCOTT (1855); J.P. BROCK (1856); and G.W. FINNIGAN (1857).  The presiding elders during that time were: Caleb LEACH, G.W. NOLLEY; G.W. LANGHORNE, Thomas CROWDER, J.D. COULING, Leonidas ROSSER and J.A. RIDDICK.

Methodism at Stumpy Point

Methodism came to Stumpy Point with the first settlers, approximately a century and a half ago.  It was somewhere about the close of the 18th century.  For the first 75 years, more or less, these people had no church building but the Methodists worshiped regularly in a private home.  The people conducted their own services for there were no Methodist circuit riders in those parts.  Occasionally one would pass through and he would always preach for them.  One of the best remembered of these traveling preachers was Rev. Bannister H. JARVIS who served several years as pastor in that region.  He was the father of Governor Thomas J. JARVIS of this state.  In 1870 the first Methodist church at Stumpy Point was built.  This church stood on the lot of the present church and served both as church and school building.  The building was small, for the population of the community was only ten or twelve families.  The dimensions of this building were about 16 by 25 feet, made of rough boards and with no ceiling, but it served as a beginning and established Methodism permanently at Stumpy Point.  This was used as a place of worship for 20 years.  They had preaching once a month.  By 1888 there were about 30 families at Stumpy Point and a second and much larger building was erected to take care of the influx of population and the ever-growing spirit of the Methodist.  This second building served until 1914.  Up until 1890, Stumpy Point and all of North Carolina east of the Chowan River was in the Virginia Conference.  In 1914 there were 90 families at Stumpy Point to be served, and the church building was once more enlarged.  That is the present church.  Following that enlargement, they had preaching twice a month, but after a while they became a station with Rev. A.E. BROWN as the first pastor.  Owing to World War conditions and the scarcity of preachers, Stumpy Point is now a part of a circuit.  The present church building is a credit to the community and of it the membership may well be proud.  There is also a parsonage built in 1925.  The membership of the Stumpy Point Methodist Church is 229 and they are wide awake and growing in numbers and in influence.

Methodism at Wanchese

We turn next to Methodism in Wanchese.  For this detailed information I am indebted to Mr. Melvin R. DANIELS.  According to official records at Currituck County House there were only 9 families on Roanoke Island in the year 1776.  This being true, it is only reasonable to believe that there was no church building at Wanchese or on Roanoke Island at that time.  Whatever services, if any, were held in private home.  The first Methodist church building at Wanchese was built in 1799.  This building was of pine and cypress logs and was about 25 feet long and 20 feet wide.  It stood on the east side of the old main road, in what is now known at Midgett Field.  This building was kept in repair and was used for about 30 years.  Then a new and larger building was erected across the road from the first one.  It was built of rough lumber and the shingles were made by hand.  The timbers were sawed from native pine and cypress.  This building lasted for about 40 years when the third one came into being some 5 or 6 years after the War between the States.  The Methodists were growing in numbers all the time and after a while this latest structure did not meet their needs so in 1903 another church was built which has since then served the people at Wanchese as a place of divine worship.  Until 1928 the same preacher served both Wanchese and Manteo.  The parsonage was located at the latter place.  In that year the people of Wanchese decided that they wanted a full-time preacher who could live among them.  Therefore they sold to Manteo their interest in the parsonage and proceeded to build the present parsonage at Wanchese.

Methodism at Manteo

The author is indebted to Rev. M.W. MANESS for the information about Methodism in Manteo.  Mount Olivet Methodist Church in Manteo was organized in 1883.  The first church was built in 1887 and dedicated in 1888.  Prior to the erection of this structure, worship services were conducted in the old Dare County Court House.  Prior to the building of the Courthouse (after 1880), worship must have been carried on in private homes for many decades.  The church at Manteo has been a station since 1928 giving full time service to the community.  The membership is now 460 and the church school enrollment is approximately 325.  The Board of Trustees is looking forward to the time when work can be begun on a new church school building to care for the growing needs of the church.

Methodism in Kitty Hawk

The author is indebted to Rev. G.W. CRUTCHFIELD for the information about Methodism at Kitty Hawk.  The first records of the Kitty Hawk Methodist Church have not been preserved, hence the date of its original organization is not now known.  It is known, however, that Methodism in the northern section of Dare County has been very strong from the earliest settlement of the area which embraces Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head.  The Methodist Church of Kitty Hawk remains a vital part of the life of the community.  While its membership is small, its enthusiasm and spiritual fervor make it a live and forward moving institution.  In 1938, under the pastorate of M.W. GARDNER, the old building was torn down and replaced with a modern structure of brick and stone.  This plant is equipped with ample church school rooms, a central heating system, and a handsome church auditorium which helps to create a spirit of worship and reverence.  The present building is one of the most beautiful and imposing rural churches in North Carolina and is free from any debt.

Friday, August 24, 1945; pg. 1


Mrs. Pearl M. JONES, 53, of Grandy, died Monday morning, August 13, at 12:45 in a Norfolk hospital following a long illness.  She was the daughter of the late Henry EVANS and Matilda Dowdy EVANS and wife of the late William JONES.  She is survived by four daughters: Mrs. Cecil SEARS and Mrs. Lonnie SEARS of Manteo, Mrs. Herman SEARS and Mrs. Cecil BRICKHOUSE of Grandy; one son, William Henry JONES of Grandy; three sisters: Mrs. Robert AYDLETT of Norfolk, Mrs. Ben LEWIS of Grandy and Mrs. Etta GILDEN of Elizabeth City; one brother, Joseph EVANS of Oceana, Va.; and six grandchildren.  Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at 4:00 at the Methodist Church in Grandy.  Burial was in the family plot at Jarvisburg.  Mrs. JONES' children were at her bedside in Norfolk until the time of her death.

Friday, September 7, 1945; pg. 1


A hearing set for Tuesday, September 11, will be held in the matter of the death of Miss Annie MONTAGUE, 18-year old Currituck County girl who was fatally injured Wednesday night near Kill Devil Hills when the truck in which she was riding crashed into a truck parked on the beach road.  George L. MANN, young boy friend of Miss MONTAGUE who was driving the pick-up truck owned by Ras WESCOTT of Manteo, and Shanklin AUSTIN of Hatteras, are under arrest to be heard before Judge W.F. BAUM.  It is alleged that the young man who is employed by Mr. WESCOTT, was driving at a speed of 60 to 70 miles an hour.  The truck on the road was owned by Mr. AUSTIN of Hatteras and had run out of gas.  Miss MONTAGUE was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin MONTAGUE of Powells Point and had been working this summer at the Wilbur Wright Hotel at Kill Devil Hills.  Her death occurred in Currituck County while she was being taken toward a hospital by an ambulance from the Manteo Naval Air Station.  It was alleged the truck on the road was without lights.  The night was misty and visibility not good.  This makes 3 deaths on the beach road this summer, two white and one Negro.  Due to its long straight distance, the temptation for speed, the desire to hug the center of the road for fear of getting into the sand at the sides, it has been a scene of many deaths.

pg. 2


Lewis DANIELS and Mrs. Della DOWDY, both of Wanchese, were quietly married on Saturday, September 1, in Elizabeth City.  They were accompanied by Mrs. DOWDY's daughter and son-in-law, Mrs. and Mrs. Sam EBURN, with whom they are temporarily making their home.  Mrs. DANIELS came to Wanchese several years ago from Currituck County.  Mr. DANIELS is the son of R.W. DANIELS and the late Mrs. DANIELS of Wanchese.

Friday, September 14, 1945; pg. 1


Geo. L. MANN, employee of the Nags Head Casino, was absolved of reckless driving and manslaughter charges in Dare County Recorder's Court Tuesday afternoon.  The charges grew out of a wreck on the Nags Head Beach Highway on Wednesday evening, September 5th, in which Miss Annie MONTAGUE of Powells Point, who was riding with him, was killed when the 1941 Ford pickup he was driving hit a parked freight truck belonging to Andrew AUSTIN, JR. of Hatteras, and was demolished.  MANN testified that his speedometer registered 35 miles an hour as he traveled south along the road from the Arlington Hotel toward the Casino, but that it was 10 miles slow and that his made his actual speed about 45.  He further stated to the court that it was misting and that he was blinded by the lights of an approaching motorist.  Andrew AUSTIN, JR., who was nearby when MANN collided into his parked truck, collaborated MANN's testimony regarding the weather and the approaching car, but said he judged that the Casino employee was going 60 to 70 miles an hour from the damage of the impact.  Under cross examination he said he had no idea from his observation how fast MANN was traveling.  He stated that he tried to hail MANN as he stood some 60 feet north of his parked truck where the wreck occurred, but that the latter did not stop.  On a charge of parking his freight truck on the highway without proper lights, Andrew AUSTIN, JR. was found guilty and taxed with the costs of court.  According to Mr. AUSTIN, he was forced to leave his truck when the gas gave out as he traveled from Norfolk toward Hatteras.  He told the court that he and a companion pushed all but one wheel off the hard surface but because it buried down in the sand could not get it completely off the pavement.  He said he left his companion in the truck while he went for gas.  The lights were not left burning because the generator was not working and the battery was not strong.  No flares were put out, he said, because he was not prepared for the emergency.

Friday, November 9, 1945; pg. 1

No part of these records may be used for any commercial purposes. However, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. If you find anything here that pertains to your families, I would strongly suggest that you look at the record on your own to check for errors or possibly other additional and helpful information.



Return to USGenWeb

Return to NCGenWeb

2004 Kay M. Sheppard