Return to Currituck Co.
Thomas Midyett Powder Horn
[Photos taken in 2008 by Ray Midgett. Permission to post these horn photographs given by Edward Murray Hodges, Jr.]
THOMAS : M
HIS : HORN
MAY : THE : 7 : DAY : 1747
|The Midgett ancestral powder
horn was found in this two story farmhouse now located on the farm of Kemp
and Pam Huss on Possom Hill Road in Bath, N.C. The horn was discovered in
the wall when Pam and Kemp were renovating the house for their tenant
farmers, J.B. and Annie Asby. The
farm belonged to Pam's great-grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Midyett Cox. The land surrounding the Huss farm once belonged to the family of Elizabeth Midyett, mother of Edward Murray Hodges, Jr, to whom the horn was given by Pam Huss. It is possible that the Huss farm was once held by an ancestor of the Midgett/Midyett family. Tim Midyett now tenant farms on the Huss farm. Mrs. Huss believes this house is over 100 years old.
The progression of how this horn has been passed down in the family is not known, however, here is Beth's lineage which might give us a clue.
Mary Elizabeth (Midyette) Hodges
[1932-2007] married Edward Murray Hodges, Sr. [1928-2001]
Thomas Midyett, Sr. had a son named Thomas Midyett, Jr. who was born May 7, 1747 (same date seen on the horn) and died circa May 1804. Thomas Jr. married Lydia Parker, daughter of James Parker. Thomas Jr. and Lydia had at least 4 known children: Timothy, James, Levi, and Solomon. Nothing much is known about these children, however, a Currituck County deed (Deed Bk. 9; pg. 109) dated Jan. 18, 1805 lists several lawful heirs--
© 2010 Kay Midgett Sheppard