Cumberland County, NC

Photographed and published by Howard & Myrtle Bridges June 12th, 2005

Sardis is a beautifully maintained old cemetery hidden among the trees about a mile off Highway #401 South near Fayetteville, NC. Here the fragrant Magnolias proudly represent the Old South making this a truly peaceful resting place for many.

Blooming Day Lilies accent a stone pillar with a bronze plaque which reads: Sardis Church was organized May 5, 1816. The first building known as Hodges Meeting House was located on the opposite side of the ravine and nearer the river. The second building probably erected in 1830 stood at the Southwest corner of this cemetery. The stone of these pillars forming its foundation in 1916. The third building was erected at Linden, NC. The plaque also lists serving Ministers and Ruling Elders at Sardis Presbyterian Church.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge each photo. This is an incomplete list of grave stones

Index Cumberland County Cemeteries
Photo Index
Sardis Cemetery Listings
Cumberland County Homepage

You are the    visitor since June 11, 2005