The Farquhard Campbell family data is posted here to aid fellow
Campbell researchers in their difficult tasks of sorting out the many early Campbell
families who settled in Cumberland County. Good luck to you,
Sources include: Walter G. Smith;
SCATTERED SEED - GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH DATA OF SOUTH EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA;
WHITFIELD BRYAN SMITH And RELATED FAMILIES
Book Two by Bryan Smith 1950; FAYETTEVILLE OBSERVER
(NC) MARRIAGE & DEATH ABSTRACTS by Bessie Hubbard Tyner; A variety
of miscellaneous publications and Cumberland
County records at NC Archives
DESCENDANTS of FARQUHARD CAMPBELL 1721-1801
Generation No. 1
1. FARQUHARD1 CAMPBELL was born Abt. 1721, and died 1808.
He married (1) ISABEL MCALISTER 1760. He married (2) ELIZABETH
WHITFIELD SMITH March 28, 1782. He married (3) RACHEL WHITFIELD Abt. 1792.
Notes for RACHEL WHITFIELD:
In the"North Carolina Historical & Genealogical
Register - Vol. 1, No.4 - October 1900", found in the library in Laurel, Miss.
is an article entitled "Whitfield Record". This article includes the following:
* Rachel Whitfield (daughter of Constantine and Barbara W. Whitfield) m 1st Henry
Goodman, 2nd Farquhard Campbell. No issue.
* Constantine Whitfield, 4th son of William Whitfield I and Elizabeth Goodman, born
Mar 6, 1728, died 1798, md. Barbara Williams, who came from Bertie County, N.C.
Children of FARQUHARD CAMPBELL and ISABEL MCALISTER are:
i. POLLY2 CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1760; m. FOTHERINGHAM.
Notes for FOTHERINGHAM:
A British Officer
2. ii. ANN (NANCY) CAMPBELL, b. Aft. 1761.
iii. ELIZABETH (BETSEY) CAMPBELL, b. Aft. 1761; m. MALCOLM MCKAY.
Notes for ELIZABETH (BETSEY) CAMPBELL:
Notes for MALCOLM MCKAY:
A British Captain
3. iv. JANET CAMPBELL, b. Aft. 1761.
4. v. ISABEL CAMPBELL, b. October 10, 1772.
Children of FARQUHARD CAMPBELL and ELIZABETH SMITH are:
vi. WILLIAM2 CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1784.
Notes for WILLIAM CAMPBELL:
He died in childhood
5. vii. JAMES CAMPBELL, b. December 30, 1782, Cumberland County, NC; d.
October 27, 1816.
6. viii. ROBERT CAMPBELL, b. March 02, 1778, Cumberland Co., NC;
d. March 01, 1828, Cumberland Co., NC.
Generation No. 2
2. ANN (NANCY)2 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD1) was born Aft. 1761. She married HECTOR
Children of ANN CAMPBELL and HECTOR BUCHANNON are:
i. WILLIAM JAMES3 BUCHANNON, b. Abt. 1790; m. MARY ANN MURPHY,
December 24, 1835, Fayetteville, N.C..
Notes for WILLIAM JAMES BUCHANNON:
Dec 31, 1835 issue Fayetteville Observer: Married in this town on Thursday, Mr.
William James Bucahannan to Miss Mary Ann Murphy, all of this county. Source:
Marriage and Death Notices 1816-1840 by Bessie R. Hubbard.
ii. ALEXANDER BUCHANNON, m. JANET TURNER.
iii. MARY ANN BUCHANNON, m. EZDKIEL KING.
3. JANET2 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD1) was born Aft. 1761. She married THOMAS ARMSTRONG.
Notes for THOMAS ARMSTRONG:
Children of JANET CAMPBELL and THOMAS ARMSTRONG are:
i. WILLIAM3 ARMSTRONG, b. January 18, 1784; m. MARY A. KING.
ii. ELIZABETH ARMSTRONG, b. Abt. 1786.
7. iii. FERQUHARD C ARMSTRONG.
iv. JOHN ARMSTRONG, m. MARION BUIE.
v. ISABELLA ARMSTRONG, m. JOEL WILLIAMS.
vi. THOMAS J. ARMSTRONG.
Notes for THOMAS J. ARMSTRONG:
4. ISABEL2 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD1) was born October 10, 1772. She married
JOHN SMITH 1795.
Notes for JOHN SMITH:
He died while sitting in a chair at the home of his daughter Elizabeth,
wife of Jonathan Evans. His home, called Oak Grove, was on the east side
of Cape Fear River, near the Fayetteville and Raleigh Road. During and immediately
following the Civil War Battle of
Averasboro, the house served as a hospital for wounded soldiers
John Smith was a wealthy and influential citizen. He conducted a ferry on the
Cape Fear River. On June 27, 1812, he announced his candidacy for the State
Senate and was elected, serving 1812, 1813 and 1814.
Children of ISABEL CAMPBELL and JOHN SMITH are:
8. i. ELIZABETH3 SMITH, b. February 20, 1796, Cumberland County, NC; d. June
ii. ALEXANDER SMITH, b. 1797; d. 1815.
Notes for ALEXANDER SMITH:
iii. ISABELLA SMITH, b. 1800; d. 1876; m. HENRY ELLIOT.
9. iv. FERQUHARD CAMPBELL SMITH, b. December 03, 1801; d. January 29, 1871.
v. MARY SMITH, b. October 04, 1803; d. December 05, 1861, Cumberland County,
NC; m. JOHN CAMPBELL ELLIOT, December 17, 1828, Cumberland County, NC.
vi. JOHN CAMPBELL SMITH, b. September 15, 1805; d. December 05, 1875; m.
(1) ELIZABETH CAMPBELL, January 02, 1830, Cumberland County, NC; m. (2)
ELIZABETH SMITH BLAKE, March 03, 1846.
10. vii. JANE SMITH, b. December 12, 1807; d. October 10, 1833.
11. viii. WILLIAM TURNER SMITH, b. May 18, 1810; m. MARY CAMPBELL d. May 09, 1855.
ix. ROBERT SMITH, b. 1812; d. 1813.
Notes for ROBERT SMITH:
x. JAMES CAMPBELL SMITH, M.D., b. September 25, 1814; d. April 15, 1843; m.
PHILADELPHIA H. MATHEWS, December 01, 1840, Cumberland County, NC.
5. JAMES2 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD1) was born December 30, 1782 in Cumberland County,
NC, and died October 27, 1816. He married WINIFRED TURNER April 13, 1809, daughter
of JAMES TURNER and SARAH HUNTER.
Notes for JAMES CAMPBELL:
James represented Cumberland County in The House of Commons, N.C. 1807-1809
More About JAMES CAMPBELL:
Fact 1: Buried at Smith's Ferry
Children of JAMES CAMPBELL and WINIFRED TURNER are:
i. ELIZABETH3 CAMPBELL, b. June 16, 1810, Cumberland County, NC; d. December 02,
1844; m. JOHN CAMPBELL SMITH, January 02, 1830, Cumberland County, NC.
12. ii. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL, b. January 12, 1812.
13. iii. MARY CAMPBELL, b. March 17, 1814; m. WILLIAM TURNER SMITH
d. August 02, 1886.
14. iv. SARAH CAMPBELL, b. March 17, 1814.
6. ROBERT2 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD1) was born March 02, 1778 in Cumberland County, NC,
and died March 01, 1828 in Cumberland County, NC. He married FLORA ROGERS Abt. 1814,
daughter of COL. ROGERS and MAGARET MCALISTER.
Children of ROBERT CAMPBELL and FLORA ROGERS are:
i. JAMES3 CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1812; d. 1844.
Notes for JAMES CAMPBELL:
15. ii. BENJAMIN CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1814.
16. iii. MARGARET CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1816; d. Texas.
iv. ROBERT MCGREGOR CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1822; d. October 29, 1881.
Notes for ROBERT MCGREGOR CAMPBELL:
He was a captain in the Confederate armies and was a resident of Gaston, Ala.
In 1842 he received his A.B. from the University of North Carolina
17. v. WILLIAM CAMPBELL, b. 1822; d. September 21, 1844, Lenden, Marengo County,
18. vi. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL, b. December 10, 1818.
vii. ELIZABETH CAMPBELL, b. 1825, Cumberland County, NC; d. August 18, 1843,
Marengo County, Alabama.
viii. JOHN CAMPBELL, b. Abt. 1826; m. (1) EUDORA MCGRIMPSEY; m. (2) MRS.
Notes for JOHN CAMPBELL:
He was a captain in the Confederate armies.
For a while he lived in Sumter County, Ala., but died in Texas
Generation No. 3
7. FERQUHARD C3 ARMSTRONG (JANET2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1). He married HANNAH
Children of FERQUHARD ARMSTRONG and HANNAH BUCHANAN are:
i. HANNAH ELIZA4 ARMSTRONG, b. October 10, 1819; d. June 13, 1903; m. NEILL
S. STEWART, February 26, 1850.
19. ii. JANET ARMSTRONG.
8. ELIZABETH3 SMITH (ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born February 20, 1796 in
Cumberland County, NC, and died June 30, 1876. She married JONATHAN EVANS.
Children of ELIZABETH SMITH and JONATHAN EVANS are:
i. ISABELLA4 EVANS, b. Abt. 1815; d. February 05, 1835, Cumberland County, NC;
m. HENRY B. BEATTY, ESQ., December 20, 1831, Cumberland County, NC.
Notes for HENRY B. BEATTY, ESQ.:
of Bladen County
ii. MARY EVANS, b. 1818; d. August 17, 1834, Cumberland County, NC.
iii. JEAN EVANS, b. 1820; m. COL. ALEXANDER ELLIOT, January 1847,
Cumberland County, NC.
iv. JOHN EVANS, b. 1822, Cumberland County, NC; d. October 1836,
Cumberland County, NC.
v. ROBERT EVANS, b. 1824, Cumberland County, NC; d. October 14,
1836, Cumberland County, NC.
9. FERQUHARD CAMPBELL3 SMITH (ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born
December 03, 1801, and died January 29, 1871. He married SARAH SLOCUMB
GRADY December 16, 1824.
Children of FERQUHARD SMITH and SARAH GRADY are:
20. i. ELIZABETH ELLIOT4 SMITH, b. May 01, 1836; d. April 28, 1875.
ii. EDWARD SMITH, b. March 17, 1843; d. May 02, 1914; m. CLARA PEARSALL.
21. iii. JANIE SMITH, b. July 26, 1846; d. August 15, 1882, Cumberland County, NC.
22. iv. HENRY ELLIOT SMITH, b. March 23, 1841; d. July 12, 1903.
v. WALTER DOUGLAS SMITH, b. September 06, 1837; d. May 30, 1899, Cumberland
County, NC; m. ELIZABETH PEARSALL.
The North-Carolinian. volume (Fayetteville [N.C.]), 01 Oct. 1853
Died in this time on the 28th ultimo, Isabella Smith, daughter of Farquhard Smith, Esq. of this county (Posted Feb. 11, 2017)
The semi-weekly messenger. volume (Wilmington, N.C.), 09 June 1899
W. Douglas Smith, Esq., son of Farquhard Smith and wife Sallie Slocumb Graddy, died
at his home in this county this morning at 8 o'clock, aged 66 years. "Doug" Smith as
he was known to his friends and the public generally was cast in heroic mould. Of tall
and commanding presence and pleasing address, he was a leader of the Upper Cape Fear.
A fair type of the old regime, born and raised in better times, he was looked up to by
family and friend for advice and example. His character was simple, open, manly and
sincere, a plain old-time country gentleman, changed womewhat by force of circumstances,
but still the same. He served in murchison's fighting company in Third N.C.Cacalry, from
this county, during the war and did his duty; was a county commissioner, and at the time
of his death a member of the state board of agriculture. (this posted February 11, 2017 by M. Bridges)
10. JANE3 SMITH (ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born December 12, 1807, and
died October 10, 1833. She married LALLERSTEDT DUNLAP MALLET June 19, 1826, son
of PETER MALLETT.
Notes for LALLERSTEDT DUNLAP MALLET:
Lallerstedt is youngest son of Peter Mallet.
Children of JANE SMITH and LALLERSTEDT MALLET are:
i. WILLIAM SMITH4 MALLETT, b. Abt. 1827.
ii. ELLEN SOPHIA MALLETT, b. 1829; d. 1899.
11. WILLIAM TURNER3 SMITH (ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born May 18, 1810,
and died May 09, 1855. He married MARY CAMPBELL December 31, 1833, daughter of
JAMES CAMPBELL and WINIFRED TURNER.
Children of WILLIAM T. SMITH and MARY CAMPBELL are:
i. JULIA JANE4 SMITH, b. 1835; d. 1894; m. ISAAC HENRY WILLIAMS,
June 10, 1857.
Notes for JULIA JANE SMITH:
She attended St. Mary's school in Raleigh, N.C. Buried in Smith's Ferry.
ii. ROBERT A. SMITH, b. 1837; d. 1837.
iii. MARY LOUISA SMITH, b. June 1838; d. February 25, 1908; m.
JUNIUS SNEED WILLIAMS.
Notes for MARY LOUISA SMITH:
Mary attended school in Hillsboro, N.C., conducted by the Misses Nash and
Pollard. She was buried in the yard of Sardis Church, Linden, N.C.
iv. WALTER JONES SMITH, b. May 13, 1840; d. March 08, 1910, Lumberton, NC..
Notes for WALTER JONES SMITH:
Died unmarried. He lived for a time at the old home on Cape Fear River.
Walter attended the Univ. of N.C., 1848-1861; enlisted Mar. 5, 1862, and was
in time a sergeant in Co "D", 3rd N.C. Infantry. He was wounded in service.
In 1911 he was awarded the A.B. degree as of 1862 by his alma mater. He was a
ruling elder in Bluff Presbyterian Church, June 11, 1871, and helped to organize
Godwin Presbyterian Church, Cumberland County, N.C.
v. JOHN W. SMITH, b. March 02, 1842; d. October 01, 1855.
Notes for JOHN W. SMITH:
Buried Smith's Ferry, N.C.
vi. JAMES LAWRENCE SMITH, b. January 24, 1845.
vii. SARAH CAMPBELL SMITH, b. July 13, 1847; d. September 24, 1897; m.
RAIFORD R. ROBESON, June 02, 1857.
viii. CAROLINE ELIZABETH SMITH, b. 1850.
ix. ALICE HUNTER SMITH, b. 1851; d. 1856.
Notes for ALICE HUNTER SMITH:
Bur. at Smith's Ferry.
12. FARQUHARD3 CAMPBELL (JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born January 12, 1812.
He married EFFY MCLEAN January 27, 1835, daughter of JOHN MCLEAN and CATHERINE
Notes for FARQUHARD CAMPBELL:
Additional people shown in this household are William Martin 47, b. Maryland;
Robert Martin 16, b. Maryland; and David Tucker 30. 1850 Census of Cumberland
Notes for EFFY MCLEAN:
1835 - Jan. 27. Married. Ferquhard Campbell and Miss *Effie McLean,
in presence of William James Buchanan and Archibald McLean, Jr.
*Effie was the daughter of John McLean & Catherine Ochiltree. Additional
children of John & Catherine were Ann [m. John McPhail]; Eliza [m. Peter
McLean]; Margaret [m. James S. Harrington]. Effie's father, John McLean,
was a son of John McLean & Effie McCranie.
North Carolina's 1739 Argyll Colony Plus Vol. 1 - 1986
Children of FARQUHARD CAMPBELL and EFFY MCLEAN are:
23. i. ELLIOTT4 CAMPBELL.
24. ii. JOHN MCLEAN CAMPBELL.
25. iii. JAMES CAMPBELL, b. November 22, 1834; d. 1914.
iv. WILLIAM CAMPBELL, b. 1839.
Notes for WILLIAM CAMPBELL:
26. v. HENRY HARRISON CAMPBELL, b. August 13, 1840; d. May 25, 1911.
Notes for HENRY HARRISON CAMPPBELL: Read more about him at: JUDGE H. H. CAMPBELL
27. vi. MARY ELIZABETH CAMPBELL, b. May 12, 1842; d. November 09, 1911.
28. vii. CATHERINE WINIFRED CAMPBELL, b. January 14, 1844; d. May 03, 1916.
viii. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL, b. 1846; d. Abt. 1846.
29. ix. ROBERT F. CAMPBELL, b. October 11, 1846; d. March 13, 1918.
30. x. AUGUSTUS TURNER CAMPBELL, b. July 04, 1855.
13. MARY3 CAMPBELL (JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born March 17, 1814, and died
August 02, 1886. She married WILLIAM TURNER SMITH December 31, 1833, son of
JOHN SMITH and ISABEL CAMPBELL.
Notes for MARY CAMPBELL:
Mary, twin of Sarah, attended the Female Seminary at Hillsboro, N.C. Bur.
Smith's Ferry, N.C. Her children listed under father.
14. SARAH3 CAMPBELL (JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born March 17, 1814. She
married RANSOM SANDERS June 30, 1835.
Notes for RANSOM SANDERS:
He owned a large plantation in Johnston County, N.C., and had a number of
Children of SARAH CAMPBELL and RANSOM SANDERS are:
i. RANSOM J.R.4 SANDERS.
ii. ADALINE H. SANDERS.
iii. LORETTA W. SANDERS.
iv. EDWIN SMITH SANDERS, b. 1837; d. Abt. 1864.
Notes for EDWIN SMITH SANDERS:
He was killed before Petersburg, Va., 1864, while a captain in the Confederate Army.
He served in Company "D", 3rd, N.C. Cavalry
v. SARAH ELIZABETH SANDERS, b. 1841; d. 1900; m. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL SMITH.
vi. LAURA SANDERS.
vii. POLLY A. SANDERS.
15. BENJAMIN3 CAMPBELL (ROBERT2, FARQUHARD1) was born Abt. 1814. He married MARTHA
Notes for BENJAMIN CAMPBELL:
Benjamin & Martha Campbell lived in Alabama and Walker Co. Texas
Notes for MARTHA REBECCA SINGLETON:
She was from South Carolina.
Children of BENJAMIN CAMPBELL and MARTHA SINGLETON are:
i. SINGLETON4 CAMPBELL, b. 1844.
ii. ROBERT CAMPBELL.
16. MARGARET3 CAMPBELL (ROBERT2, FARQUHARD1) was born Abt. 1816, and died
in Texas. She married JAMES A. ADAMS.
Notes for JAMES A. ADAMS:
Child of MARGARET CAMPBELL and JAMES ADAMS is:
i. ROBERT C.4 ADAMS.
17. WILLIAM3 CAMPBELL (ROBERT2, FARQUHARD1) was born 1822, and died September
21, 1844 in Lenden, Marengo County, Alabama. He married JUSTINE ESKRIDGE.
Notes for WILLIAM CAMPBELL:
He lived in Sumter, Co., Ala, in which state he died.
Children of WILLIAM CAMPBELL and JUSTINE ESKRIDGE are:
i. ROBERT4 CAMPBELL.
Notes for ROBERT CAMPBELL:
Lived at Whitfield Sumter Co., Ala.
ii. BETTIE CAMPBELL.
18. FARQUHARD3 CAMPBELL (ROBERT2, FARQUHARD1) was born December 10, 1818.
He married GABRIELLA H. SINGLETON.
Notes for FARQUHARD CAMPBELL:
Dr. Farquhard Campbell moved to Marengo County, Ala.; thence, 1859 with his
brother Benjamin Campbell to Waverly, Walker County Texas.
Notes for GABRIELLA H. SINGLETON:
She was the fourth daughter of Robert and Harriet M. Singleton, of Sumter
Children of FARQUHARD CAMPBELL and GABRIELLA SINGLETON are:
i. FLORA ROGERS4 CAMPBELL, b. October 02, 1847; d. Abt. 1847.
ii. MAREAH ENGLISH CAMPBELL, b. December 02, 1848; d. Abt. 1848.
iii. ELIZABETH CAMPBELL, b. September 02, 1850; d. Abt. 1850.
iv. SARAH SINGLETON CAMPBELL, b. October 05, 1851; m. E.W. SEWELL.
Notes for E.W. SEWELL:
May be Seawall, of Texas. Two children
v. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL, b. October 26, 1853; d. Abt. 1853.
31. vi. ELLA HARRIET CAMPBELL, b. November 23, 1855.
vii. ROBERT JOHN CAMPBELL, b. July 14, 1857; d. Abt. 1857.
viii. BENJAMIN CAMPBELL, b. July 27, 1858.
ix. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL, b. November 05, 1860.
x. MARGARET MCALLISTER CAMPBELL, b. December 30, 1861.
xi. MARTHA REBECCA CAMPBELL, b. September 06, 1870.
Generation No. 4
19. JANET4 ARMSTRONG (FERQUHARD C3, JANET2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1).
She married JOHN HOLMES.
Children of JANET ARMSTRONG and JOHN HOLMES are:
i. ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL5 HOLMES, m. CLAUDIA ATKINSON.
32. ii. MARY HANNAH HOLMES.
33. iii. JANE HOLMES.
34. iv. WILLIAM GUY HOLMES.
v. BUCHANNON HOLMES.
Notes for BUCHANNON HOLMES:
Died in infancy
20. ELIZABETH ELLIOT4 SMITH (FERQUHARD CAMPBELL3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1)
was born May 01, 1836, and died April 28, 1875. She married RAIFORD R. ROBESON.
Child of ELIZABETH SMITH and RAIFORD ROBESON is:
i. BESSIE5 ROBESON, b. February 01, 1867; d. August 21, 1895.
21. JANIE4 SMITH (FERQUHARD CAMPBELL3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born
July 26, 1846, and died August 15, 1882 in Cumberland County, NC. She married
RAIFORD R. ROBESON.
Children of JANIE SMITH and RAIFORD ROBESON are:
i. INFANT DAUGHTER5 ROBESON, b. August 07, 1880.
ii. SALLIE S. ROBESON, b. September 06, 1879; d. March 09, 1890.
22. HENRY ELLIOT4 SMITH (FERQUHARD CAMPBELL3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1)
was born March 23, 1841, and died July 12, 1903. He married (1) MARY DOBBIN
SHEPHERD, daughter of JESSE SHEPHERD and CATHARINE DOBBIN. He married (2)
MARIA LOUISE CROSS, daughter of BENJAMIN CROSS and ANASTASIA.
Children of HENRY SMITH and MARY SHEPHERD are:
i. SIDNEY DOUGLAS5 SMITH, b. September 21, 1873; d. January 10, 1955,
Cumberland County, NC; m. ELLEN DOUGLAS, March 18, 1903.
ii. CLARA SMITH, b. October 28, 1886; d. March 02, 1915.
Child of HENRY SMITH and MARIA CROSS is:
iii. ALICE CROSS5 SMITH, b. May 26, 1879; d. July 30, 1880, Cumberland
23. ELLIOTT4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1). He married SARAH ASHLEY.
Children of ELLIOTT CAMPBELL and SARAH ASHLEY are:
i. MARY WINIFRED5 CAMPBELL, b. 1886; d. Abt. 1886.
ii. JAMES EDGAR CAMPBELL, b. 1888; d. 1892.
35. iii. WILLIAM A. CAMPBELL, b. June 21, 1890.
36. iv. FRED L. CAMPBELL, b. June 21, 1893.
37. v. LILLIE MAE CAMPBELL, b. August 28, 1898.
24. JOHN MCLEAN4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1). He married MARY
WOODBURN May 05, 1868.
Child of JOHN CAMPBELL and MARY WOODBURN is:
38. i. EFFIE LORRRAINE5 CAMPBELL, b. May 13, 1869.
25. JAMES4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born November 22,
1834, and died 1914. He married ADELAIDE BANNER BRIGGS September 08, 1870.
Notes for JAMES CAMPBELL:
Died in the Spring.
Children of JAMES CAMPBELL and ADELAIDE BRIGGS are:
39. i. MARY LUCY5 CAMPBELL, b. August 25, 1871.
ii. JETTIE WINIFRED CAMPBELL, b. July 23, 1873; d. 1919.
Notes for JETTIE WINIFRED CAMPBELL:
40. iii. WILLIAM FARQUHARD CAMPBELL, b. March 23, 1876; d. 1927.
41. iv. JOHN OCHILTREE CAMPBELL, b. January 07, 1878.
v. WALTER HUGH CAMPBELL, b. 1881; d. 1909.
Notes for WALTER HUGH CAMPBELL:
26. HENRY HARRISON4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born August 13,
1840, and died May 25, 1911. He married LIZZIE BUNDY November 01, 1871.
Children of HENRY CAMPBELL and LIZZIE BUNDY are:
i. ERWIN5 CAMPBELL, b. 1878; d. Abt. 1878.
42. ii. HENRY H. CAMPBELL, b. August 15, 1881.
27. MARY ELIZABETH4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born May 12,
1842, and died November 09, 1911. She married WILLIAM WALLACE BRIGGS.
Children of MARY CAMPBELL and WILLIAM BRIGGS are:
i. MARY ILETA5 BRIGGS, b. Abt. 1870.
ii. CATHERINE LORRAINE BRIGGS.
iii. WILLIAM D. BRIGGS, b. 1875; d. 1908.
iv. EFFIE CAMPBELL BRIGGS, b. 1878; m. JOHN RAINE BANNER.
Notes for JOHN RAINE BANNER:
28. CATHERINE WINIFRED4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
January 14, 1844, and died May 03, 1916. She married FERGUS COLUMBUS STEVENSON.
Notes for FERGUS COLUMBUS STEVENSON:
Children of CATHERINE CAMPBELL and FERGUS STEVENSON are:
i. ALBERTUS CAMPBELL5 STEVENSON, b. 1879; d. 1891.
ii. MARY WINIFRED STEVENSON, b. 1882; m. W. PONDER SLATER, June 03, 1903.
Notes for MARY WINIFRED STEVENSON:
29. ROBERT F.4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born October 11,
1846, and died March 13, 1918. He married MARGARET WHITE February 29, 1872.
Children of ROBERT CAMPBELL and MARGARET WHITE are:
43. i. CATHERINE ROBERTA5 CAMPBELL, b. July 04, 1874; d. May 22, 1897.
ii. ELIZABETH WINIFRED CAMPBELL, b. 1878; d. 1913.
Notes for ELIZABETH WINIFRED CAMPBELL:
44. iii. WILLIAM ELLIE CAMPBELL, b. May 04, 1883.
45. iv. ROBERT STANDLEY, b. March 14, 1891.
30. AUGUSTUS TURNER4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born July 04,
1855. He married PERMELIA IDA SHEFFIELD February 14, 1886 in Bangs, Tex..
Children of AUGUSTUS CAMPBELL and PERMELIA SHEFFIELD are:
i. VIRGIE IRMA5 CAMPBELL, b. 1888; m. HATTEN LAXON, June 1950.
46. ii. RUBY BUNDY CAMPBELL, b. 1893.
47. iii. CLAY CAMPBELL, b. October 17, 1898.
31. ELLA HARRIET4 CAMPBELL (FARQUHARD3, ROBERT2, FARQUHARD1) was born November 23,
1855. She married E.W. SEAWELL.
Notes for E.W. SEAWELL:
He was her brother-in-law, of Houston, Texas.
Children of ELLA CAMPBELL and E.W. SEAWELL are:
i. CLEVELAND5 SEAWELL.
ii. SARAH SEAWELL, m. GEORGE HORTON.
Notes for GEORGE HORTON:
George was an architect and engineer, of Houston. They had a son and a daughter.
iii. SINGLETON SEAWELL.
Generation No. 5
32. MARY HANNAH5 HOLMES (JANET4 ARMSTRONG, FERQUHARD C3, JANET2 CAMPBELL,
FARQUHARD1). She married GREY BULLOCK.
Children of MARY HOLMES and GREY BULLOCK are:
i. MOLLIE6 BULLOCK.
ii. JOSEPHINE BULLOCK.
iii. JOHN BULLOCK.
iv. THOMAS BULLOCK.
v. WOOD BULLOCK.
vi. EMILY BULLOCK.
33. JANE5 HOLMES (JANET4 ARMSTRONG, FERQUHARD C3, JANET2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1).
She married JOHN MCLERAN.
Children of JANE HOLMES and JOHN MCLERAN are:
i. JANET6 MCLERAN, m. THOMAS THROWER.
ii. WILLIAM MCLERAN.
iii. CHARLES MCLERAN.
iv. ADDIE MCLERAN.
v. MARY MCLERAN.
vi. ELIZA MCLERAN.
vii. LEE MCLERAN.
viii. JAMES MCLERAN.
34. WILLIAM GUY5 HOLMES (JANET4 ARMSTRONG, FERQUHARD C3, JANET2 CAMPBELL,
FARQUHARD1). He married REBECCA EVANS.
Children of WILLIAM HOLMES and REBECCA EVANS are:
i. HENRIETTA6 HOLMES.
ii. JOHN HOLMES.
iii. JOSEPH HOLMES.
iv. JANET HOLMES.
v. ELLEN CAMPBELL HOLMES.
vi. REBECCA HOLMES.
35. EUGENE WHITMEL5 SMITH (HENRY ELLIOT4, FARQUHARD CAMPBELL3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born 1875,
and died 1906.
Child of EUGENE WHITMEL SMITH is:
51. i. EUGENE WHITMEL6 SMITH.
36. WILLIAM TURNER5 SMITH (JAMES LAWRENCE4, WILLIAM TURNER3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1) was born 1878.
He married UNKNOWN.
Child of WILLIAM SMITH and UNKNOWN is:
52. i. WALTER GUYTON6 SMITH, b. 1906; d. 1998.
37. WILLIAM A.5 CAMPBELL (ELLIOTT4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
June 21, 1890. He married LAURA MAY SCOTT November 28, 1908.
Children of WILLIAM CAMPBELL and LAURA SCOTT are:
i. SARAH EILON6 CAMPBELL, b. 1914.
ii. MAURICE WINFIELD CAMPBELL, b. 1917.
iii. DAVID LEONARD CAMPBELL, b. 1919.
38. FRED L.5 CAMPBELL (ELLIOTT4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born June
21, 1893. He married BESS PARSONS September 27, 1913.
Children of FRED CAMPBELL and BESS PARSONS are:
i. WILBOURNE FRED6 CAMPBELL, b. 1915.
ii. HERBERT CAMPBELL, b. 1917.
iii. RHEBA PAULINE CAMPBELL, b. 1919.
39. LILLIE MAE5 CAMPBELL (ELLIOTT4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
August 28, 1898. She married RAY BRYAN HUNTER January 09, 1918.
Children of LILLIE CAMPBELL and RAY HUNTER are:
i. AARON6 HUNTER, b. 1919.
ii. BETTY FERN HUNTER, b. 1921.
iii. RAY BILLIE HUNTER, b. 1924.
40. EFFIE LORRRAINE5 CAMPBELL (JOHN MCLEAN4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1)
was born May 13, 1869. She married SHELDON LEVIT BUTLER.
Children of EFFIE CAMPBELL and SHELDON BUTLER are:
i. EFFIE LORRAINE6 BUTLER, b. 1892; d. 1897.
ii. MARGUERITE BUTLER.
41. MARY LUCY5 CAMPBELL (JAMES4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born August
25, 1871. She married ISAAC EDGAR WILLIAMS June 16, 1907.
Children of MARY CAMPBELL and ISAAC WILLIAMS are:
i. JANE ADELAIDE6 WILLIAMS, b. 1908; m. DEWARD DALE ROBERTS, July 11, 1926.
ii. JAMES CAMPBELL WILLIAMS, b. 1909.
iii. ISAAC EDGAR WILLIAMS, b. 1910; d. 1910.
42. WILLIAM FARQUHARD5 CAMPBELL (JAMES4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
March 23, 1876, and died 1927. He married MAUDE PITMAN June 28, 1907.
Notes for WILLIAM FARQUHARD CAMPBELL:
After a divorce, he married Penelope Linzey Stutz (no children). Son, Wilbur, was
reared by his mother's people and took their name, Pitman.
Child of WILLIAM CAMPBELL and MAUDE PITMAN is:
i. WILBUR FARQUHARD6 CAMPBELL, b. March 28, 1908.
43. JOHN OCHILTREE5 CAMPBELL (JAMES4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
January 07, 1878. He married MARGARET WELDON ROGERS May 24, 1900.
Children of JOHN CAMPBELL and MARGARET ROGERS are:
i. HUGH6 CAMPBELL, m. LILLIE LEE.
ii. MAY ADELAIDE CAMPBELL, b. 1907; d. Abt. 1907.
iii. JOHN WELDON CAMPBELL, b. 1909; m. INEX MARSHALL, April 20, 1929.
Notes for JOHN WELDON CAMPBELL:
44. HENRY H.5 CAMPBELL (HENRY HARRISON4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
August 15, 1881. He married (1) BELL MCCLURE August 10, 1905. He married (2)
OLLIE HAND November 21, 1916.
Children of HENRY CAMPBELL and OLLIE HAND are:
i. ERIN6 CAMPBELL, b. 1907; m. ERNEST CHARLES SHEARER, June 15, 1933.
ii. HENRY HAROLD CAMPBELL, b. March 17, 1917.
iii. LYMAN BUNDY CAMPBELL, b. July 17, 1920.
iv. HAL VANCE CAMPBELL, b. October 21, 1925.
45. CATHERINE ROBERTA5 CAMPBELL (ROBERT F.4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1)
was born July 04, 1874, and died May 22, 1897. She married J.E. HALL 1895.
Child of CATHERINE CAMPBELL and J.E. HALL is:
i. BRYAN6 HALL, b. 1896.
46. WILLIAM ELLIE5 CAMPBELL (ROBERT F.4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was
born May 04, 1883. He married TENNIE BAUGH.
Children of WILLIAM CAMPBELL and TENNIE BAUGH are:
i. ERIN6 CAMPBELL.
ii. CALVIN FRANK CAMPBELL, b. 1909; m. MARGARET DOHAM, 1931.
iii. NOVELINE CAMPBELL, b. 1911; d. 1913.
iv. W.L. CAMPBELL, b. September 1912.
v. VIELLA CAMPBELL, b. 1921; d. 1928.
vi. MARSHALL E. CAMPBELL, b. August 1922.
47. ROBERT5 STANDLEY (ROBERT F.4 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1)
was born March 14, 1891. He married ADA MAE ROGERS July 26, 1912.
Child of ROBERT STANDLEY and ADA ROGERS is:
i. BOBBIE MAE6 STANDLEY, b. 1922.
48. RUBY BUNDY5 CAMPBELL (AUGUSTUS TURNER4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1)
was born 1893. She married SAM BEHRINGER 1916.
Child of RUBY CAMPBELL and SAM BEHRINGER is:
i. CAMILLE6 BEHRINGER, b. May 01, 1920.
49. CLAY5 CAMPBELL (AUGUSTUS TURNER4, FARQUHARD3, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
October 17, 1898. He married IRIS HAYNES January 08, 1921.
Children of CLAY CAMPBELL and IRIS HAYNES are:
i. CLAYONAE6 CAMPBELL, b. 1925.
ii. CHARLES C. CAMPBELL, b. 1928.
iii. HAYNES TURNER CAMPBELL, b. 1930.
iv. BERNAY CAMPBELL, b. 1932.
Notes for BERNAY CAMPBELL:
Twin to Bernell
v. BERNELL CAMPBELL, b. 1932.
50. LAURA SANDERS (DAISY)5 SMITH (SARAH ELIZABETH4 SANDERS, SARAH3 CAMPBELL, JAMES2, FARQUHARD1) was born
July 10, 1875, and died October 20, 1953. She married TAYLOE CORBIN YOUNG.
Children of LAURA SMITH and TAYLOE YOUNG are:
i. EMILY ELIZABETH6 YOUNG.
ii. CARRIE ROSS YOUNG.
53. iii. THADDEUS LUTHER HOWARD YOUNG.
iv. TAYLOE CORBIN YOUNG.
v. DAISY SMITH YOUNG.
vi. SMITH HICKS YOUNG.
Generation No. 6
51. EUGENE WHITMEL6 SMITH (EUGENE WHITMEL5, HENRY ELLIOT4, FARQUHARD CAMPBELL3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1)
Child of EUGENE WHITMEL SMITH is:
i. EUGENE WHITMEL7 SMITH III.
52. WALTER GUYTON6 SMITH (WILLIAM TURNER5, JAMES LAWRENCE4, WILLIAM TURNER3, ISABEL2 CAMPBELL, FARQUHARD1)
was born 1906, and died 1998.
Child of WALTER GUYTON SMITH is:
i. WALTER GUYTON7 SMITH, b. 1935.
53. THADDEUS LUTHER HOWARD6 YOUNG (LAURA SANDERS (DAISY)5 SMITH, SARAH ELIZABETH4 SANDERS, SARAH3 CAMPBELL,
JAMES2, FARQUHARD1)He married DOROTHY LILLIAN BOBB.
Children of THADDEUS LUTHER HOWARD YOUNG are:
i. PHYLLIS BOBB7 YOUNG.
ii. THADDEUS LUTHER HOWARD JR. YOUNG.
iii. CARY TAYLOE YOUNG.
iv. CANDACE LEE YOUNG.
EXECUTORS OF ALEXANDER SMITH WILL
MEMORANDUM BY HUGH McLEAN
RECORD OF FARQUHARD ARMSTRONG
RECORD OF THE WHITFIELD CONNECTION
LETTER FROM FARQUHARD CAMPBELL
Go to McALLISTER & RELATED FAMILIES
Go to Descendants of DR. FARQUHARD CAMPBELL
Fayetteville Observer, Wednesday, September 27, 1837
By virtue of power vested in me by the last will and testament of Robert Campbell, dec'd, I will sell publicly,
at the court house in Fayetteville, on the 13th day of November next, TWO TRACTS OF PINEY LAND, well timbered,
containing 640 acres each, lying on the South East side of Cape Fear River, adjacent to each other, and adjoining
the lands of Jas. Cameron, Graham and others.
Also, an undivided interest, being one-half of a tract of 500 acres, lying on Great Creek, near Black River.
One tract of 117 acres, on the South eastern bank of the Cape Fear River, adjoining the lands of Mrs. Armstrong
One improved lot in Campbellton, near the bridge.
One unimproved lot in Fayetteville, opposite the jail, and that fertile and valuable possession of land, whereupon
the deceased formerly lived, containing about 900 acres, lying on the State Road from Fayetteville to Raleigh, and within
ten miles of the former place.
Twelve months credit will be given, purchasers giving bonds with approved security, bearing interest from date, and
a mortgage on the premises. Alex'r Elliot, Executor. September 19, 1837
Go to FARQUAHARD CAMPBELL
Back to DESCENDANTS OF CUMBERLAND COUNTY
Back to WHAT'S NEW CUMBERLAND COUNTY
Back to CUMBERLAND COUNTY HOMEPAGE
This page created September 21st, 1999 by Myrtle N. Bridges