Concordia Christian Day School
[photo courtesy of Don Barker]
Concordia Christian Day School, originally a part of Concordia College, was established in 1877. Concordia Lutheran Church assumed the operation and support of grades one through seven in 1894 and established Concordia Christian Day School.
Concordia Christian Day School has continually provided students with a Christian education, except for the thirteen years it closed during the depression. In 1996 Concordia Lutheran Church dedicated a new school building for 200 students. Having outgrown this new building in 2004, Concordia Lutheran Church completed an addition in 2007 that added a PS3 class, computer and science labs, Distance Learning lab, a middle school wing, and a large youth center.
Celebrating the 135th Anniversary
Photo courtesy of Newton Observer-Enterprise
Concordia Lutheran Church and Christian Day School in Conover celebrated the school’s 135th anniversary with a celebration luncheon March 16, 2014.
A unique history featuring interviews with former students was presented, along with an original musical performed by the lower grades.
A picture of students and congregation members was taken from the top of a fire truck ladder: Concordia students held blue balloons and formed a large Cross in the middle of the congregation members, church and school staff, parents and grandparents holding red balloons who were forming the shape of a heart on the perimeter.
Concordia means “hearts joined together.” Concordia began in 1878 as Conover High School, then Concordia High and later Concordia College.
Concordia Lutheran Church started at the college because it was too far for the students to walk to St. John’s Lutheran Church.
Students of all ages were educated at the college, Concordia Lutheran Church took over the operation of grades one through eight in 1894 and created Concordia Christian Day School, called a day school because Concordia College was a boarding school for high school and college students. A fire destroyed the college in 1935.
Today, Concordia Christian Day School continues as a ministry of Concordia Lutheran Church and serves children from preschool to eighth grade.
In 2009, the faculty at Concordia started University Christian High School, a Lutheran high school, in partnership with Lenoir-Rhyne University
University Christian High moved to its current location in Hickory in 2011
[Leigh Pressley, Charlotte Observer, March 30, 2014, pg. 3V]
© 2016 By accessing this site, you hereby agree that any data posted is copyrighted by the NCGenWeb, the respective county host and/or individual contributors. Nothing contained herein is to be used for other than personal research and is not to be reposted, captured or cached on another server without the express written consent of the contributor.
Derick S. Hartshorn - ©2016 to present