This page is dedicated to the ancestral veterans of the 39th Regiment N.C. Troops. North Carolina contributed many men to both sides of the "War Between the States" and lost many, but Company C of the 39th was formed in Cherokee and was made up mostly of Cherokee County enlistees. To contribute to the page, please contact me, Crystal French with the details.


The 39th regiment was originally a battalion known as COLEMAN'S Battalion, organized at Asheville, N.C., composed of five companies. Lieutenant Colonel David COLEMAN commanding.

The five companies were organized as follows:

Company A, Cherokee County, Captain Benton STRANGE

Company B, Macon County, Captain A.W BELL

Company C, Cherokee County, Captain Harvey DAVIDSON

Company D, Buncombe County, Captain Ambrose GAINES

Company E, Clay County, Captain James BOGAN

Later, Companies F & G were formed when A & C became overcrowded. Nathaniel SLAUGHTER was Captain of Company F, Pascal HUGHES was Captain of Company G. Then Company H under Captain David L. WALKER arrived from Cherokee County. They were then moved to Knoxville, Tennessee as a part of the army of Tennessee. Company I of Macon County, under Captain James CRAWFORD arrived, making nine companies. A part of the sixteenth, under Captain Andrew W. COLEMAN, was transferred to become the 10th company, Company K, and all were reorganized to become the 39th North Carolina Troops.

Complete history of the 39th Regiment North Carolina Confederate Troops.


This company was raised in Cherokee County and was enlisted at Murphy on Setpember 24, 1861. It was then ordered to Cam Patton, Asheville and was designated Company C of major David COLEMAN'S Batalion N.C. Troops when that unit was organized on December 10, 1861. When the battalion was reorganized as a regiment on May 19, 1862, the company became Company C, 39th Regiment N.C. Troops. After joining Coleman's Battalion and the 39th Regiment the company functioned as a part of those units and its history for the remainder of the war is reported as a part of the history of the39th Regiment. The roster of the company was compiled principally for company muster rolls for February 1-April 30, 1862 and Nvember 1862 -October 1863. No company muster rolls were found for May-October 1862 or for the period after October 1863.


DAVIDSON, Hugh Harvey

MOUNT, Samuel S. C.



FARMER, Sylvester Benjamin M.

HALL, George

HUGHES, Pascal C.

MOSS, Jeptha C.

SUDDERTH, David Theodore

WHITAKER, Harrison Benjamin



Shiloh, Baptist Gap, Perryville, Kentucky
Murfreesboro, Tullahomo, Vicksburg, Tennessee
Chicamauga, Georgia (A monument commemorating the 39th is at the battlefield)
Resaca, Alatoona, New Hope Church, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Georgia, Nasheville, Tennessee, the first defeat the 39th had known.
Spanish Fort, Alabama-The last fight for the 39th

From N.C. Troops 1861-1865, "On May 4, 1865. at Meridian, Mississippi, the men of the 39th laid down their arms and the regiment ceased to exist, but it's glory survives, the memory of it's achievements will never die. They maintained full high the fame of the Old North State."

From N.C. Troops 1861-1865, 1st Lieutenant John DAVIDSON of Company C writes:

"I dedicate this history of the 39th N.C. Regiment to the old veterans of North Carolina, my native state and I pray God's blessings upon every one of them. God grant that we may all meet again at the last bugle call, and be crowned as valiant soldiers of the cross."Contributed by Reid Stiles


Joseph L. GIBSON, Private, was the son of Isaac and Nancy COLWELL GIBSON. Enlisted in the 39th N.C. Infrantry, Company E in Clay County, Hayesville, N.C. on February 28, 1863 but was not assigned to duty until October 1, 1863. The dates given in N C Troops, page 152, are assumed to be incorrect because he was wounded in the hand and arm at Chickamauga September 20, 1863. He was also wounded at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. Joseph died in 1918 at the age of 75 and was buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery in Beech Creek, Cherokee County, until his grave was moved to Rogers Chapel around 1940. Contributed by Reid Stiles Click here to see a picture of Joseph Gibson.

Alfred PANTHER, Private, thought to be the son of John PANTHER. Resided in Cherokee County where he enlisted at age 39, September 24, 1861. Reported present during February-April, 1862. Alfred died May 13,1899 and was buried in Beech Creek Cemetry and was later relocated to Rogers Chapel Cemetery. Contributed by Reid Stiles

William L. "Bill" STILES, Private, son of John B. and Mary "Polly" COGDALL STILE. Resided in Cherokee County where he enlisted at age 38, September 24, 1861. He was captured by the 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. His eldest son, Benjamin, was a member of the unit that captured him. Bill was sent to federal prison camp in Knoxville, Tennessee where he died of pneumonia about April 25,1862.

In the book "Appalachian Ancestors" by Stephen and Sandra Ratledge, Mitchell STILES recalls, "My grandpa, Ben STILES, was a Union man who stayed in the army four years after the Civil War. His daddy was old man Bill STILE and he was a Rebel. He kinda got forced into joining. The Union men captured him (Bill) and my grandpa (Ben) was in the group that captured his own daddy. They took him to Knoxville to prison camp and that's where he died. My grandpa always talked about his daddy dying up there and always said he worried about his soul and if he was ready to go."Background contributed by Reid Stiles


Memorial Day was observed at Resaca on May 14, the anniversary of that battle. Addresses were made by Rev. W.R.L. Smith, of Richmond, Va., Rev.W.M. Dyer, of Kingston, Ga. (referred to below), and Captain John M. Davidson, also of Kingston, Ga.

The following incident of the battle ofResaca was embodied in an address by the latter:

I was the First Lieutenant of Company C, Thirty-Ninth North CarolinaRegiment, Reynolds Brigade, Stevensonıs Division, Polks Corps. The brigade was made up of Arkansas troops with the exception of my regiment of Tar Heels. Our position was on the left, our regiment resting on the bluff of the Oostenaula River, the right of the brigade just above the James Hill residence. Heavy skirmishing was kept up on the 11th, 12th,13th and 14th of May 1864. The battle was opened along the entire line, at 4 p.m., just 37 years ago today. Captain W.M. Dyer was seen running down the line, hat in hand. As he passed, each regiment was ordered to charge. When he came to us he called out ³Will North Carolina follow Arkansas? to which we shouted back, We will! We will! Charge Tar Heels, charge!

We had to climb over a brush fence on the bank of our trenches. Ensign Bryson, Sergeant Corbin, and I were the first over. Bryson called on the regiment to rally on his colors, and just as he spoke a cannon ball cut off his arm just above the elbow. He dropped the colors, Corbin was knocked down by the concussion, and only I was left standing. Sergeant Shelton picked up the flag, and we went at the double-quick across the field, and just before entering the woodland, were ordered to halt and lie down to get our breath, and then go forward. In a short time we were in the fight. From the heavy cannonading and constant firing of musketry the smoke was soon so dense that we could trace the Federal lines only by the flash of their guns. We were pitted against Hookerıs Corps, and were doing our best to keep him from crossing a creek between us.

After night we were ordered back to the ditches, I lingered to see if the bluecoats would try in the darkness to get possession of the hill, and as the regiment was moving away they tried to see how many Minie balls they could send where we were last seen by them. I never heard such singing of Minie balls. There was a large white oak stump near me, and as most soldiers would do at such a time, I dropped behind the friendly stump and made myself as small as possible until the firing ceased, but here they came and began cutting down trees not far from me and making breastworks. During the crash of a falling tree I decided that was my time for escape, so I made a bee-line with all the power my heels would give me.

Arriving at our breastworks, I found a number of our men huddled together, recounting what each had done. Colonel Coleman had asked them earlier if they could tell him anything about Lieutenant Davidson, and when we was expressing the opinion that I must have been lost in that last heavy volley, I sprang into their midst. As the Colonel wished to know where I had been, I told him all except about getting behind the stump, and I received public praise.

Copyright 2007 -Crystal French - Cherokee County Coordinator. All rights reserved. The information found at this site is for the purpose of non-commercial genealogical research. Information submitted by other researchers is copyrighted by the submitter. Queries are also copyrighted by the submitter. Any commercial reproduction or inclusion of this information is prohibited without the express authorization of the author/host of this site. Send all questions and/or comments to Crystal French