@2002-2009 - Sue Ashby
Kathryn London Stirk
Henry Adolphus London (9 Apr 1808-27 Nov 1882) was the second child
and oldest son of John London (1747-1816) and Ann Thorney Mauger (1774-1858).
Henry was born in Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina. Henry
married Sally Margaret Lord (17 Mar 1814-3 Nov 1857) on the 29 Feb 1832
at St. James Episcopal Church in Wilmington, New Hanover County, North
Carolina. Sally was the daughter of William Campbell Lord and Eliza Hill
of Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina.
Henry and Sally moved to Pittsboro, Chatham County, North Carolina after
1836 for Sally's health. The upcountry was thought to be better for one
than the low country!
Henry was a merchant. He had been treasurer of the Cape Fear and Deep
River Navigation Co. from 1853-1868.
The London family belonged to St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in
Pittsboro, Chatham County, North Carolina. Henry had been a Lay Reader
and the Senior Warden. Family story tells about Henry's care for the sick
of the parish. He would ride around Chatham County on his white horse taking
food to the sick. The 8 younger children were christened, most of them
married and most of them are buried at St. Bartholomew's.
Henry and Sally had ten children:
- John Rutherford London (1833-1904) married Camilla Rhodes and moved
to Rock Hill, York County, South Carolina. They had no children.
- Ann Mauger London (1835-1916) m. 1. Simon Bolivar Zimmerman; 2nd Lawrence
J. Haughton. There were no children in either marriage.
- William Lord London (3 Apr 1838-30 Nov 1916) m. Maria Caroline Haughton
(1839-1923). They had seven children and remained in Pittsboro. Alice Hill
London (165-1868), Henry Adolphus London (1867-1964), John Haughton London
(1869-1918), William Lord London (1872-1890), Arthur Hill London (1874-1969),
Frank Marsden London (1876-1945), Caroline Haughton London (1882-1883)
- Eliza Catherine London (1841-1926) m. Peter Gaillard Snowden and moved
to Ocala, Marion County, Florida. They had three children: Sally London
Snowden (1864-1946), Bolivar Zimmerman Snowden (1867-1931), Laura Stephen
- Rufus Marsden London (1842-1863) never married.
- Henry Armand London (1846-1918) m. Bettie Louise Jackson (1853-1930).
They had 8 children. Lucy Worth London (1877-1947), Henry Mauger London
(1879-1939), Sallie Lord London (1881-1952), John Jackson London (1883-1973),Isaac
Spencer London (1885-1964), Bettie Louise London (1888-1967), Julian Worth
London (1890-1890), Camelia Rutherford London (1896-1977)
- Mary Cowan London (1849-?) m. Joshua T. James. They had no children.
- Fanny Thurston London (1851-1897) m. John W. Taylor. They had three
children. Ann Mauger Taylor (1884-aft 1959), Bruce Taylor (1885-?), Henry
- Frederick Hill London (1855-1891) m. Emma Dora Frew. They moved to
Rock Hill, York County, South Carolina. They had six children: Rufus Marsden
London (1879-1942), Sarah Frew London (1882-1970), John Rutherford London
(1884-1949), Fred Hill London (1885-1885), William Frew London (1888-1888),
Emma D. London (1890-1969)
- Frank Olmstead London (1857-1908) m. Lily Moore. They moved to Rock
Hill, York County, SC. They had one son, William Lord London (1890-?).
For further information on the London family - contact Kathryn London
File created December 1996