Clines Township

 

 

In 1886, Professor Robert A. Yoder rode a buck board throughout Catawba County, and mapped each and every feature he found. Not just the rivers and streams and the other geographic features, he located the residences of all the Catawba County citizens he found. During his forays, he spent many nights in the homes of those who provided information for his venture, as well as comfort for he and his family who traveled with him.

The buck board had a large attached wheel that acted as a pedometer, measuring the distance traveled. The map that Dr. Yoder produced in 1886 are comparable in accuracy to county maps of today.

The homes that he listed on his map are difficult to identify unless one has a full-scale map of this 1886 masterpiece. One of our Catawba County scholars, Chantay Gooby,  has been kind enough to list those residences, churches and establishments that appear on Yoder's map. They are listed here:

- Union Church
- L. Hefner
- R. Hefner
- D. Hefner
- L. Lail
- A. Canup
- J. Canup
- W. Eckard
- Bumgarner & Co.'s Saw Mill
- Catawba Springs
- Dr. E. O. Elliott, Proprietor Hotel
- Dr. E. O. Elliott's Mill
- A. A. Reitzel
- Bowman's Ferry
- Mrs. Ingold
- C. S. Little
- J. B. Bradshaw
- W. P. White
- A. Hedrick
- D. Hedrick & Sons Mills
- St. Peter's E. L. Church
- C. T. Sigmon
- Mrs. Wineberger
- Q. G. Sigmon
- D. Hefner
- J. Hefner
- Geo. Hefner
- L . Austin
- Mrs. Deal
- Wm. Deal
- A. Huffman
- J. A. Simmon
- J. D. Rowe
- Rev. D. C. Huffman
- P.G. Herman
- Mrs. Smith
- C.Cline
- P. Hunsucker
- E. Eckard
- Marvin M. E. Church
- County Poor House
- J. J. Cline
- Mrs. Yount
- Mrs. Cline
- P. J. Wagner's Mills
- M. L. Cline
- D. Drum
- D. Isenhour
- R. H. Deal
- D. Yount
- W. J. Dellinger
- J. Stine
- L. L. Little
- M. Kuntz
- H. Kuntz
- J. Isenhour
- L. Little
- F. Pope
- John Stine
- N. E. Sigman
- Wm. H. Rockett
- S. Henkel
- J. P. Baker
- L. Hunsucker
- N. Hunsucker
- M. Smith
- J. Simmon
- B. E. Smith
- E. Brady
- E. Sigman
- P. Hefner
- St. John's E.L.G.R. Church
- L. Dellinger
- F. T. Dellinger
- L. R. Holce
- Rowe's Mills
- J.P. Yount
- W. L. Holler
- J. Sigmon
- Mrs. Abernathy
- M. Herman
- J.C. Yount
- N. Huit
- Mrs. Huffman
- A. Holler
- J. A. H. Yount
- Setzer's Depot
- S. Wike
- A. M. Huit
- D. Little
- Berrier Mills
- W.H. Morrow
- W. Cloninger
- Bethlehem M. E. Church
- F. Conner
- P. Gant
- Mrs. Frazier
- J. Cloninger
- L. Brown
- L. Sigmon
- E. Gant
- F. Miller
- James Mills
- J. Cline
- C. A. Hunsucker
- D. Hunsucker
- Mrs. Garrison
- E. Roseman Voting Precinct
- Teyatira E.L. Church
- Catfish P.O.
- J. H. C. Huit's Store
- J.F. Isaac
- Island Ford Ferry
- Dr. D. McD. Yount
- Huit Conner & Co. Mills
- P. Hoke
- J. Drum
- D. Huit
- C. A. Conner
- P. Hunsucker
- Mrs. Gant
- M. I. Roseman
- G.D.L. Yount's Mills
- C. Rockett
- M. SIgman
- J. Holler
- D. F. Carpenter
- J. W. Carpenter
- G. Moser
- E.P. Moser
- P. Drum
- D. W. Cline
- E. Holler
- B. Huffman
- D. Huffman
- Bethel E.L. Church
- J. Dellinger
- E. Longcrier
- L. Mathews
- J. Holler
- W. Shook
- D.W. Moose
- J. M. Arnt
- J. B. Little Ferry
- J. B. Little
- Q. M. Smith
- P. Little
- F. Little
- J. Little
- Dr. E.O. Elliott's Mills
- Miss Mingis
- J. C. Moser
- D. Hedrick
- Stine's Store & Oxford Ford P.O.
- A. Null
- J. Shook
- A. J. Stine

The formation of Clines Township was first established as follows:

December 16 of the same year: "... Levi F. Yoder appointed Standard Keeper. . . . The Commissioners having completed laying off the county into townships, eight in number, gave them the following names…. Clines. Drury Hamilton, surveyor, made a map of each Township which are filed (The townships were named as follows: … Clines, for the Cline family).

September 5, 1870: Ordered by the Board of County Commissioners that the line between Hickory Tavern Township and Clines Township be so changed as to run as follows, viz.: Beginning where the line crosses Snow Creek and run with said creek to Joseph Killian's, thence between Peter Keller's Leah Lanier's to the river according to petition, also to change line between Clines Township and Newton Township to run as follows, viz.: Beginning at a white oak near F. Huffman spring and running with the meanders of Long Branch to the mouth of said branch, thence to the 17 mile post on the Island Ford road, leaving Daniel Little and George Little in Clines Township. . . ."
 

[Presslar: History of Catawba County, pg 246-46]


These pages are copyrighted in the name of the NCGenWeb Project and/or the submitters and webmaster of this project.
They may not be used, housed or copied by any for-profit enterprise. Fair Use Doctrine allows for exerpting limited portions.


 

Derick S. Hartshorn - 2008-present
Last Modified: