Caldwell County was formed in 1841 from Burke and Wilkes counties. It was named in honor of Joseph Caldwell, the first president of the University of North Carolina. He strongly advocated a public school system and a railroad across the center of the State from Morehead City to Tennessee.
Caldwell County is in the west central section of the State and is bordered by Alexander, Catawba, Burke, Avery, Watauga and Wilkes counties. The present land area is 471.60 square miles and the 2000 population was 77,386.
The court was ordered to be held at the store of George Powell near the house of George Smith, Jr., until a courthouse was erected. Commissioners were named to select a site as near the center as possible, acquire land and a town, and erect a courthouse. Lenoir, named in honor of William Lenoir, is the county seat.*Information courtesy of the North Carolina Encyclopedia.
Towns in Caldwell County are: Lenoir, Granite Falls, Hudson, Gamewell, Sawmills, Blowing Rock, Cajah's Mountain, Cedar Rock, Collettsville, Northlakes, Rhodhiss.
Caldwell County Government
Caldwell County Public Library
Caldwell Heritage Museum
Caldwell County Chamber of Commerce
Interim County Coordinator: Dee Gibson-Roles
Last update: September 2011
© 2009-2010 Diane Siniard& Jeanne Hicks
© 1998-2005 Sharon Miller Williamson