Historical Markers of Cabarrus County
National and State
The National Register of Historic Places and local historic landmark and historic district designations are two very different programs that recognize and protect historic properties. Some historic properties and districts may receive both types of designation in communities where local historic preservation commissions have been established according to North Carolina enabling legislation. However, there is no direct correlation between National Register listing and local designation.
Nathaniel - Located at the Harrisburg Presbyterian Church Cemetery
in Harrisburg, NC. Surgeon in the
RW war, Congressman, Governor of NC 1805-07.....birthplace about 3 miles north.
College (See Schools
page down) Historical Marker
(Concord) 145 Cabarrus Ave. West Founded in 1867 and listed on the National
Register, this structure has some of Cabarrus County's finest late nineteenth
century brickwork. One of the first building on campus, Faith Hall, has been
completely restored. (Also known as Graves Hall;Faith Hall;Leland S. Cozart
House). Barber-Scotia College was founded in 1867 by the Presbyterian
Church as part of an outreach mission to educate newly freed slaves. Scotia
Seminary, as it was known then, was a boarding school for black women who wished
to become teachers. Now it is a four year liberal arts college for men and women.
(As of May of 2005 the school is poss
closed due to building & accreditation problems.)
Bethel Methodist Arbor (Cabarrus vicinity) Jct of SR 1123 and SR 1121, Midland Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949.
Boger-Hartsell Farm (Concord vicinity) Jct. of US-801 and SR1148, Concord - Architect, builder, or engineer: Hartsell, McDonald, et al, Propst, A.H.
Bost Mill (Georgeville) - Concord, Built in the early 1800's, the mill was the source of flour and cornmeal for southern Cabarrus County residents. The restored mill is on the National Register of Historic Places and is filled with original milling equipment and artifacts. Step back in time, enjoy the antiques and watch corn being ground into cornmeal and grits. Special tours and events.
Cabarrus County Courthouse (Concord) - Cabarrus County Courthouse was built in 1876. The bricks were handmade and carried by horse and buggy. This courthouse was the seat of local government for neary a century. The 1876 courthouse, which is listed in the National Register of Historic places, is the pride of Cabarrus County residents. The two and one half story building was designed by Appleget and built by F. W. Ahrens, a Charlotte builder that also built Graves Hall at Scotia Seminary.
Charles A Cannon - marker for gravesite.
J W Cannon Home - Built ca 1900
J W Cannon - marker for James W Cannon's gravesite.
Concord Hotel - built in 1925. The six story building was erected to accomodate both the Concord National Bank and the Hotel Concord. (An earlier Concord Hotel listed in businesses in 1866)
Daily Independant - First Newspaper in Kannapolis
Favoni (Burned 1990) (Poplar Tent Church )
First Baptist Church
- built between 1922-1924, it housed the First Baptist congregation until they
moved to a new location on Branchview Dr. This building is the current home
of The Old Courthouse Theatre.
First Congregational Church (Mount Pleasant) Corner of Wade and C Sts., Mount Pleasant
Church - completed in 1927, Church was chartered in 1804, the
congregation of First Presbyterian Church is Concord's oldest congregation.
It was the only house of worship in downtown Concord until
Central Methodist was formed in 1930.
Gem Theatre - built in 1938. It was burned down in 1942 and was rebuilt in 1948. The theatre has a balcony, a lobby, and a second floor lounge. Steel staircases in the theatre have huge mirrors at the landings.
John Bunyan Green Farm (Midland vicinity) SR 1114 .5 mi. E of SR 1178, Midland
Daniel Isenhour House and Farm (Gold Hill vicinity) 11970 Mt. Olive Rd., Gold Hill
(Mt. Pleasant) College St., Mount Pleasant built in 1853 and
is probably the oldest structure built still standing in Cabarrus County. It
was family operated for three generations.
McCurdy Log House (Concord vicinity) S of Concord off U.S. 601, Concord - McCurdy,Archibald
Meek House (Kannapolis vicinity)
SR 1624, 0.3 mi. NE of jct. with SR 1622, Kannapolis - Also known as Lin Oaks
Mill Hill (Concord vicinity) W of Kannapolis on SR 1616, Concord - Stirewalt,Jacob
Robert Harvey Morrison House and Pioneer Mills Gold Mine (Midland) - Also known as Cedarvale
Collegiate Institute Historic District - (Mount
Pleasant) built in 1853. It was the first historic district in the county
to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Institute was
built by the Lutheran Church to educate young people of that faith. It was renamed
North Carolina College and was a successful college until the Civil War. The
building is now used as East Cabarrus Historical Museum.
North Union Street Historic District (Concord)
John Milton Odell
Home - built in the late 1870's, Mr. J. M. Odell was a major textile
industrialist in Cabarrus County.
Odell-Locke-Randolph Cotton Mill (Concord) Odell, John Milton
Paul Stallings Home - Erected around 1917. It is the most ambitious early 20th century farm house still standing in the Harrisburg area of Cabarrus County.
Pharr-Stallings Mill - This mill is located across the road from the Paul Stallings House. It is the remains of a water-powered saw mill, grist mill, and cotton gin. A dated stone indicates the mill was built in 1912. Local tradition maintains that the first mill was established here around 1850 but was later destroyed by a flood of the Rocky River.
Israel Pickens - marker dedicated to this statesman.
Gardens - Original graveyard for First Presbyterian Church. Many
monuments have names of Cabarrus County's original founders. The floral gardens
are particularly stunning in the spring.
The Reverend John E. Pressly House (Bethpage vicinity)
Red Hill - Marker for where the home & tavern of John and Martin Phifer was located.
Reed Gold Mine (Concord vicinity) [LINK] - Nuggets found here in 1799 set off the first gold rush in the United States. North Carolina mines furnished much of the gold minted in Philadelphia before 1829. The mines were largely depleted by 1860.
Rocky River Graveyard
- has a Revolutionary War veteran's grave. It is located across Rocky
River Road from the church and is surrounded by a hand-built stone wall.
Rocky River Presbyterian Church (Concord vicinity) Jct. of SR 1139 and SR 1158, Rocky River. erected in Cabarrus County during the 1860's prior to the Civil War. Side entrances near the front of the church were built to accomodate the members' slave population.
South Union Street Historic District (Concord)
Spears House (Concord vicinity) 1615 Morrison Rd., Concord - Also known as Caldwell Creek Farm; Eudy Farm
St John's Lutheran Church - built in
1845. It is the oldest church still standing today in Cabarrus County. It is
one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in North Carolina.
Stonewall Jackson Training School Historic District -(Concord) founded in 1907 and was the first juvenile detention facility in North Carolina. The school was named for General T. J. "Stonewall" Jackson who fought in the Civil War. -----(From the 1908 Annual Report of the Board of Public Charities of North Carolina) STONEWALL JACKSON MANUAL TRAINING AND INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL.MR. WALTER THOMPSON, Principal.
(In October, 1907, the organization of the Board of Trustees of the Stonewall Jackson Manual Training and Industrial School was effected, with Mr. J. P. Cook, of Concord, as chairman. At a subsequent meeting Mr. Walter Thompson was elected superintendent.) This institution has been located three miles from Concord. There are 290 acres. During the past year a deep well has been dug. Two cottage buildings are nearing completion; cost, about $13,000. Sewerage and fire protection in course of construction. Insured. There have been many gifts--none very large; from the King's Daughters, $750. Concord gave the site and $1,000. Receipts during the two years, about $15,500; disbursements, $20,000. A number of applications on file for admission, but the institution has not yet been opened for children. The King's Daughters have pledged $5,000 for the erection of a cottage.WALTER THOMPSON, Superintendent
Stamp Mill - erected at Reed Gold Mine in the late 1890's
Sundial Memorial - Kannapolis Town Park
and was dedicated in May 1977. It was designed as a tribute to the men and women
of Kannapolis who died while serving in the United States armed forces.
Union St N/Cabarrus Ave Comm Historic District (Concord)
South Union St. Courthouse/Comm. Historic District