of David Gillespie
County, Elizabethtown, NC
Email questions & comments to Lmurak@aol.com
slave owners were: David
Gillespie and Sarah Streety. David
Gillespie was born April 05, 1774 in Golden Grove, Duplin County, NC, and died
September 28, 1829 in Gillis, Bladen County, NC. Sarah Streety was born
March 1, 1782 and died November 29, 1847 in Bladen County, NC. (This
information taken from “Descendents of David Gillespie”).
1. Elizabeth 'Eliza' Street Gillespie-1810
2. James Gillespie I-1803-1804.
3. Rebecca S. Gillespie-1804-1812.
4. **James Gillespie-1804-1847. Married Susan O'Brien Flowers-1806-1885, on 11/29/1829.
5. Richard Street Gillespie-1806-1878. Married Elizabeth Flowers-1808-1892, on 6/5/1832.
6. Joseph Mumford Gillespie-1808-1848.
7. George Street Gillespie-1811-1865. Married Elizabeth 'Eliza' Coddington Robeson 6/21/1843.
8. Ann Clopton Gillespie-1813-1862. Married James Gillespie Dickson on 4/14/1835.
9. David Brison Gillespie-1815-1905. Married Sarah Ann Davis-1821-1904 on 11/20/1844.
10. Albert Gillespie-1817-1850. Married Caroline F. Jones.
11. Sarah Gillespie-1820-1887. Married David Flowers on 12/12/1843.
12. Lucy Jane Gillespie-1825-1889. Married Thomas Jones Robeson 7/23/1850.
Gillespie inherited his slaves from his parents, David and Sarah.
When he died, his wife, Susan, inherited them.
owners listed in the 1830-1860 Bladen Co. Census were Richard S. Gillespie, D.B.
Gillespie, and Susan
(wife of deceased James
Susan B. Gillespie was 43 yrs old,
widowed, and had 7 children: James
T. born 1828, Sarah R. born 1830, Franklin P. born 1834, Martha J. born 1836,
Joseph born 1839, Richard B. born 1841, and Elizabeth born 1844.
B. Gillespie’s Slaves
Stephen and Princess (Prentiss) Gillespie
Gillespie-1823-1910 and Princess Cromartis-1820-1898
2. Samuel 1848-1923
**3. Watty 1850-1927
5. Becky 1853
7. Katherine 1857
8. Jack 1859
Waddell (Watty) and Mary Gillespie
(Watty) Gillespie (1848-1927) and Mary Cherry Haynes (1854-1926)
Rosetta-born Mar 18, 1878
Katie (a twin)-died at birth?
Elizabeth (Lizzie) Dell
Sarah Anne-born Dec 1, 1889-died 1965
Honduras-born Oct 16,
1882-died Mar 30, 1939
Noah-born Feb. 1883-died July 2, 1923
Riley-maybe twin, died at birth?
Archibald H. and Mary Hazel
1. Max Honduras-1918 (f. Tobe Bairfield)
2. Benedict-1920 (f. Archiebald H. Gillespie)
3. Twins - Archie Joseph-1923
4. ** Mary Hazel-1923 (f. Archiebald H. Gillespie)
5. Twins - Charles Henry-1926
6. Grace-1926 (f. Archiebald H. Gillespie)
7. Twins – Stanley-1928
8. Dorothy-1928 (f. Walter T. Shropshire)
9. George Francis-1930 (f. Walter T. Shropshire)
Note: The above research was compiled by Linda Gillespie-Murakata, descendent of the David Gillespie slaves. For more information on the African-American Gillespie descendents, contact me at : Lmurak@aol.com