Looking for records & resources for African-American genealogy research? We’ve recently updated the African-American Special Projects page on the NCGenWeb site to include links to specific counties with relevant content.
Resources vary and may include:
- Wills that list free slaves – such as that of Julius Zollicoffer of Halifax County
- Freedmen Bank Records – see Northampton County as an example
- School information – such as the Rosenwald Schools in Nash County
- Slave runaway notices – like Simbo from Onslow County
- Comprehensive collections – like that of Bladen County
You never know what you’ll find so be sure to look around. If you have questions, please contact the county coordinator who can lead you to further resources. Thank you to Deloris Williams, Assistant State Coordinator, for compiling the county links.